PDA

View Full Version : Adding grip to synthetic stock

Appleseed
10-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Any suggestions for adding material to a synthetic stock? Need to add and shape a grip for a pistol project. This is for a light carry gun. Bondo, fiberglass, what?

Have one being made in wood for the bench pistol. A guy in Kingsport TN has a Dakota duplicating machine and is shaping one from the vlp. Will have to finish shape it to fit.

psharon97
10-25-2011, 12:45 AM
You mean like this?
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/psharon97/P2211501.jpg

The stock really wasn't hard to do. The pistol grip was a cheap AR-15 pistol grip that I ordered. Basically I cut the stock to make it look more like a 30-30 lever gun stock and bolted the pistol grip on the stock. I used glue and truck bed liner to help fill in the gaps and then sanded everything down. The sanding and filling process took several months of work, mostly due to me working and going to college. Cost in parts: $10.

tyler.woodard04
10-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Your going to want some internal structure molded in. Remember it is going to take all the recoil onto that conection point. I would figure how you want it to be shaped and mate it to the stock the use some aluminum through the entire grip and as far into the stock as possible. Either bedding compound or a strong exopy should be used to fill the gaps. Its going to be tough getting the strength dug to trigger location. What action you using a striker or another

GaCop
10-25-2011, 07:06 AM
You mean like this?
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/psharon97/P2211501.jpg

The stock really wasn't hard to do. The pistol grip was a cheap AR-15 pistol grip that I ordered. Basically I cut the stock to make it look more like a 30-30 lever gun stock and bolted the pistol grip on the stock. I used glue and truck bed liner to help fill in the gaps and then sanded everything down. The sanding and filling process took several months of work, mostly due to me working and going to college. Cost in parts: $10.

Nice work homey!

Appleseed
10-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Using a left hand action, not a striker action. Needs to be molded and shaped into a pistol grip, no butt on the stock. Wood might work if it will bond to the plastic, mechanically and with filler/adhesive. Would bondo or fiberglass adhere? A tactical stock would work nicely, this is a factory one however.