PDA

View Full Version : Drill out the rear swivel stud to access hollow cavity on a hs precision stock?

mattri
10-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Have an HS Precision stock off of an LRPV, the factory issue, not an aftermarket. Would like to fill the hollow cavity in the stock with lead shot etc. I've read that you can freeze the stock to break the glue that holds the factory recoil pad, and access the hollow cavity in the stock that way.

If you were to remove the rear swivel stud,and then drill out the threaded boss would you be able to reach the cavity that way? I have no use for the rear swivel stud, and could fill the hole afterwards.

It seems like this would be the simplest way to access the hollow cavity, no need to remove the reciol pad and therefore no need to install a new one. Just drill down to the cavity, fill with media of choice, fill hole and shoot.

Thoughts?

sharpshooter
10-23-2011, 08:42 PM
What makes you think it's hollow?

mattri
10-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Various other posts on this forum and others refer to people removing the recoil pad, as described above, to access the hollow cavity in order to fill it with various media for the purpose of adding weight.

That is what I want to do, without removing the recoil pad.

If you look at the location of the rear swivel stud in relation to mass of the rear part of the stock, especially what would be accessible once the recoil pad was removed, then it looks as though drilling down through where the swivel stud threads in would access that same hollow cavity.

Skunce
10-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Mine is hollow and I don't see why your plan wouldn't work just fine.

mattri
10-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Well worst case scenario I don't hit the cavity, just plug up the hole and go through the recoil pad.

keeki
10-24-2011, 08:03 AM
FWIW. I wouldnt just add weight to my stock, I would make it so that I could tune it. I would make it accessible to add or take off weight to get the balance thats perfect for you.

mattri
10-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Good replies, thanks. Plan to use #12 lead, which as you know is very small in diameter. It will take a little time none the less. With a temp plug I hope to get the balance correct, then close it up to shoot. Will post results in the next few days.

khuff
10-24-2011, 09:51 AM
You have the option of using tungsten carbide powder, it's 50% denser than lead. You can just do an internet search to find it and get the cheapest price. I use it to change the swing weight of golf clubs, should work well in this application as well.

mattri
10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Good to know thanks.

mattri
10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Have run into a bit of a snag. Can't get any lead shot locally. Would like to get this done sooner than later, may try using bb's. Thought about sand but not sure it would be heavy enough.

mattri
10-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Ok got the stock drilled and filled with bbs- it was slowing going but added almost 2lbs and improved the balance and feel of the rifle immeasurably.

The only question now is what kind of an epoxy/resin to use as a filler. Would prefer something very thin, viscous to flow into all of the little nooks and spaces between the bbs easily. Any suggestions?

Pathfinder1Cav
10-25-2011, 11:21 AM
How about melted wax, it has worked for me with lead shot (keeps the lead from oxidizing & swelling- ultimately cracking a wood stock).

mattri
10-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Actually thought about that- will the heat damage the stock and can you get it thin enough to flow through all the little pellets without cooling of and hardening first?

bosstom
10-25-2011, 03:13 PM
The two HSP stocks that I have replaced the recoil pads on have not been hollow, these were on Remington Sendero's.

mattri
10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
How interesting- I wonder if the cavity doesn't go all the way back to where the recoil pad attaches.

romulus
10-25-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm thinking of doing this with lead shot for prone stability, but sometimes I have to make offhand shots on game. Anyone shoot their weighted rifles offhand? My 10 fp hs is pretty heavy already with a big NF looming on top of it.

JW
10-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I wondering if spray in foam would hold the weight (BBs) in position, or maybe work loose after use

mattri
10-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Just filled the void with fiberglass resin cut with acetone. Had to tap quite a bit on the stock to get the air bubbles out and have it seep down into the space between the pellets but it eventually filled it up. Will let it sit until I can shoot again. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

arizona98tj
11-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Just to add a data point, my 10 FCP HS-Precision has a hollow stock....I've already drilled it and put a Karsten cheek piece on it. It was very much hollow.