PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 to .308

LubeckTech
10-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I would like to convert my 30-06 110 to .308.
Would a barrel swap be all I would need or is it more involved??
How much are the fixtures and tools to do it?

darkker
10-23-2011, 12:01 PM
There are many articles on this already, if you use the search feature...
New barrel only is correct. Prices on the tools depend on where you buy them.

stangfish
10-23-2011, 12:10 PM
You need headspace gages($25), some sort of barrel vise($65) and/or a barrel nut wrench($25) and an action wrench($55) if it has never been apart before. There are some cheaper alternatives but need to be used with discretion. Many folks have done it without the action wrench as have I.

In my opinion a fine hone to remove proud metal from the barrel nut face and the action face is something I do but many probably don't bother. If you have purchased an aftermarket recoil lug it is a minimum, the best thing would be to have the nut and the action face trued.

Shaw package barrels have some inexpensive gages and a nut wrench in the package (they get the job done) even though quality is hit or miss on your chamber. They seem to be good about getting it right on the second try.

geargrinder
10-23-2011, 01:57 PM
I'd skip a barrel vise and only go with a nut wrench and action wrench. The nut can be tough to break and a barrel vise doesn't always have the surface area to develop enough grip. Wheeler makes decent stuff, but there are more expensive options available.

I prefer to use fired and sized brass to a go-guage. It lets me set the barrel for minimal brass growth from FL size.

It's a good time to upgrade recoil lug. Even if you aren't going to have the action and nut squared to the threads, it will help with good bedding.

stangfish
10-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Good point gear grinder. How do you support the action when you are applying the 300 ft/lbs to break the factory nut?

LHitchcox
10-23-2011, 07:23 PM
The action wrench locks onto the front of the action using a bolt in the front action screw hole to prevent any slippage of the receiver, so there is no torque to speak of on the action. The simple way to pop the barrel nut loose is to attach the action vise and while standing on the handle of the vise, step on the barrel nut wrench. The nut wrench should be positioned so that it is barely off the floor. It will pop loose without much effort.

My first barrel swap was using homemade barrel blocks and a barrel nut wrench. I will not go through that again.

ESSCEE
10-23-2011, 07:41 PM
+1 on LHitchcox technique. took off my first barrel this way with no problem placed it on the floor with a couple layers of cardboard under it or you could probably use a couple shop towels too.

geargrinder
10-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Yep, the action wrench has more surface area and a provision for the front action screw to keep it from spinning. The Wheeler action wrench also has a notch to key the recoil lug.

I've had a couple tough Savage nuts and a couple tough remingtons, but nothing was as tough as an old Mauser of my buddies.

I had the action wrench cinched up in my vise while I was putting all my weight on a 3' pipe wrench on the barrel. A few bounces with my feet off the ground popped it loose.

Billpa had a great setup that located the barrel, action, and nut wrench all on his bench. All he had to do was tug on the action wrench without worrying about supporting anything else.

Smokey262
10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
slightly off topic, why did billpa leave in a huff? He was a good guy

stangfish
10-23-2011, 09:56 PM
My setup uses the barrel vise to support the assembly i have a home made action wrench I machined to grab the lug that acts as an antirotation and I use the nut wrench with a large breakover and it gets the job done without much effort. I have yet learned to be efficient with the new smooth barrel nut.

geargrinder
10-24-2011, 01:08 AM
slightly off topic, why did billpa leave in a huff? He was a good guy

I don't know exactly, but I've seen it happen before. Seems like about once a year there's a big stink about something or other. Lines get drawn and crossed. Some people leave.

Good thing is that there are still a ton of great folks here helping out and sharing knowledge. That's why I'm still here.

ellobo
10-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Ditto geargrinder ;D

El Lobo

GaCop
10-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Yes, this is by far one of the best forums on the web.

Luckus
10-25-2011, 08:20 AM
I agree.

jim36
10-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Years ago (in the 60ties) I had an 03 in 30 06. I bought an insert (military, I think) that converted the 06 to 308. It was placed on the cartridge, put into battery and fire formed. It had an extraction tool for removal. It is still shooting good to this day. Don't remember where I got that particular piece, but it worked.
Jim <")))><