PDA

View Full Version : New Axis Stn 308

axis308
10-23-2011, 02:27 AM
I picked up my Axis Stainless XP 308 about six months ago. So far, I've lightened the trigger spring, like many others, but the decrease in pull weight was only moderate. I also polished the ramp because it was leaving serrations on the bullets and casings during loading, and it seemed like this would cause problems with accuracy. I've added some CRC brake caliper grease (moly disulf, graphite, & teflon) to the sear engagemment and a few other wear points around the trigger. I replaced the Bushness Sharpshooter with a Redfield Evolution 3-9x40 and this has an extra inch of relief, but the Bushnell also appears to be decent for a $40 scope. I was just worried about claims of cheap scopes falling out of zero. Is this common?

Any white tail hunters with round recommendations? 150 or 180?

What are the odds of getting or modding a mag for more rounds (like 10 or so)?

All in all, its a pretty nice rifle for the price.

stangfish
10-23-2011, 10:01 PM
There will always be different camps on the bullet weight but my sons Axis 308 shoots 5 shot sub 1/2 groups with 180 gr sierra gamekings bagged in. I have found that the 1:10 twist is just too fast for the light bullits in a 22 inch barrel.

ptisd335
10-24-2011, 01:07 AM
I am shooting 150 grain nosler BT and 150 sst. I have never had a deer walk withthease two

R6Pirate
10-24-2011, 05:31 PM
What are the odds of getting or modding a mag for more rounds (like 10 or so)?

All in all, its a pretty nice rifle for the price.

Working with someone right now on these. I sent him a mag for R&D and once he finishes and if he found it simple enough to do, i will post up info. Send me a PM so i can find you easier once it is finished.