PDA

View Full Version : More Bedding Questions

justinp61
10-22-2011, 01:14 PM
The stock on my model 12 fvss is very flimsy and will get replaced when I make up my mind on which stock to replace it with. I'm considering bedding it mainly for practice and to see if it will stiffen it any. It flexes in the recoil lug well so I don't know if it can be helped.

I've been reading for to days on bedding and see several different thoughts and methods, this is where the questions come from.

1- Do I need to bed under the barrel nut?

2- How much free space do I need in front of the recoil lug?

3- How much relief around the bottom and sides of the recoil lug?

Thanks

Quickshot
10-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Looks like everyone is out for the day. I'll give you my experience alone. #1 If you have a mind some day to change the barrel then you would no doubt have to chisel out the bedding to get the nut to line up. #2 You need enough space so you can take the barrel action out easilly. Doesn't need a whole lot but deffinetly not bedded tight on the front of the lug. #3 I use a couple of layers of masking tape around the edges so when done it peels off and leaves some space. The back side of the lug is where you want a snug fit when bedding. Hope that helps. On a Remington I bedded 2" up the barrel but there was no nut to worry about. On my Savages I did not go beyond the action. Be sure to float the tang. Quick

GaCop
10-23-2011, 07:15 AM
+1 on "Quickshot's" advice. I will add, 2 layers of electrical tape on the barrel nut will float the nut. I used to use painters tape on the recoil lug and other areas I didn't want bedding material but found electrical tape works much better. Bedding around the barrel nut and recoil lug will stiffen the stock some but you will still have some flex in the forearm. If you want to stiffen the forearm, you can bed a couple of carbon fiber or aluminum arrow shafts in epoxy.

justinp61
10-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys. I checked the stock out when it was off to adjust the trigger, there is a huge hole where the recoil lug is. It appears to me that 99% of the flex is there. There is a channel that runs the full length of the forend that is perfect for a carbon arrow shaft to lay in. My thoughts were to bed the action, epoxy (devcon) a carbon shaft that extends well into the recoil lug in the channel and fill the recoil lug hole with devcon. This may not eliminate all the flex, but I think it'll help. Plus it will be good expierence for me.

GaCop
10-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Yup, that should help considerably.

big honkin jeep
10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I Bed from the recoil lug back when I do one. This is not gonna help with the flex issues though.

tobnpr
10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
When bedding the recoil lug, I use two layers of blue painters tape on the forward face, and edges to allow a tiny bit of clearance for removal. The rear face is of course bare (just release agent) so that it is in full contact with the epoxy and there is no possible rearward movement.

GaCop
10-25-2011, 06:48 AM
When bedding the recoil lug, I use two layers of blue painters tape on the forward face, and edges to allow a tiny bit of clearance for removal. The rear face is of course bare (just release agent) so that it is in full contact with the epoxy and there is no possible rearward movement.

+1, that's the way I do it.