PDA

View Full Version : Question about switching barrels on a bedded rifle

mugsie
10-21-2011, 02:13 PM
I bedded a Savage LA, DMB in 260. Now I'd like to switch the barrel to something else, maybe a 6mm BR. Since the recoil lug (Calahans) is bedded for where it was --- ahhh - my little light is turning on! I'm going to screw in the new barrel to set the head spacing, but since the recoil lug banks against the end of the action, it "should" end up in exactly the same place it started - right? I was going to do another build all together (and maybe still will since I had a lot of fun on the last one and the rifle shoots great), but since I don't need to spend a while lot, I can just purchase a barrel to get started, correct?

Thanks all - and if anyone does have a SA for sale, let me know.

jglover_81
10-21-2011, 02:20 PM
You shouldn't have a problem. The barrel change should have no effect on the bedding of the action

82boy
10-21-2011, 04:11 PM
For the most part you should not have a problem. The problem may occur do to the recoil lug that you have of getting it on the action in the same spot. Factory and SSS lugs have a location pin that keeps the lug from spinning, and aligns it to the action in the same spot. Your lug without a locating pin, may cause you some headaches depending on how you bedded the area. (IE. how much room you left in.)

mugsie
10-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I know 82boy, but I think I did a good job of centering the lug, and I left room around the lug so I don't think it'll be a problem - but we'll see.

I'm leaning towards 6mm BR next.