PDA

View Full Version : new savage rifle how good are my groups should they be better?

huntinman57
10-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I just bought a very slightly used model 11 in .300wsm and put a nikon 3-9x40 on it and it shoots what I think is good. At a 104yds I used 2 different ammos and got nice results with both. First was winchester 150grn ballistic silver tips and I could get 2 holes touching or cutting in half and one would always be 3/4in away couldnt get all three touching or cutting but still under a 1in group. Second was Federal Fusion 165grn and I never got them to touch but there group was still nice and still under 1in. Is this considered about right for these savages, or do they do better? Mine is a accutrigger but not accustock gun has the old hard rubber recoil pad on it. I been tossing around the Idea to put a boyds thumbhole on it would I gain any accuracy or just looks? My guns accutrigger doesnt adjust down very low though I have it all the way down and it feels like about 3.5lbs no even close to 1.5lbs like advertised but still crisp is this normal?

huntinman57
10-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Also on a cool clean barrel my gun shoots the first one strait left 2in is that normal? Also the bolt feels like its not quite as smooth as other savages I have felt kinda hangs when its all the way back looks like maybe on the magazine box.

darkker
10-21-2011, 11:57 AM
A couple of things.
First, at 100 you are sub MOA with factory. That is VERY good. Remember that factory loads need to work in a wide range of guns/chamber specs. So is it "normal"? Well, it is very good. "Can it do better"? with handloads, maybe.
IF you have a lightweight barrel, AND the stock does not hit the barrel, the stock would PROBABLY be mostly for looks.

The accu-triggers have a big consistency issue, in the three different guns I have had. That being said, I don't think that any of them go that low, unless you have the target/palma version. So "is it normal"? Yes.

huntinman57
10-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Ya my gun is synthetic and it is free barrel dont touch it anywhere so it floats free and the barrel is just a regular barrel measures like 23.5in Im guessing thats 24in.

rusty815
10-21-2011, 01:09 PM
my factory 300wsm model 16 gets about the same groups, they can range anywhere from .4 on a good day to just about 1.0, so yours are very good

EFBell
10-21-2011, 01:42 PM
My model 10 300 WSM also shoots about the same as yours with the occasional 3 shot cloverleaf. I use 180 grain handloads. Perfect for my needs, hunting!

huntinman57
10-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I had a browning a bolt 300wsm that never shot close to this good

teebirdhyzer
10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
that sounds real good. Seems like most people's factory Savages will shoot 1" or better with good ammo, and usually do even better with the right handloads. Might try shooting a 3 shot group while waiting 10 minutes or so between shots...so that each shot is a true "cold bore" shot. Sometimes I can get mine to shoot some really nice groups if allow the barrels to cool off. If I pop them off fast, they will usually open up a bit.

huntinman57
10-21-2011, 02:01 PM
I was shooting 3 with about a min between shots and then letting it sit for 5-10min

wbm
10-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Second was Federal Fusion 165grn and I never got them to touch but there group was still nice and still under 1in.

The 165g Federal Fusion is outstanding factory ammunition. Muzzle velocity is at or near 3100fps. It shoots so well in my son's Savage 300WSM that I quit reloading hunting rounds for him. I have used this ammunition in five different 300 WSM's and have come to the conclusion that if a Savage rifle doesn't shoot this ammunition well there is something wrong with the rifle or the shooter or both! Glad your rifle likes it!

huntinman57
10-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Second was Federal Fusion 165grn and I never got them to touch but there group was still nice and still under 1in.

The 165g Federal Fusion is outstanding factory ammunition. Muzzle velocity is at or near 3100fps. It shoots so well in my son's Savage 300WSM that I quit reloading hunting rounds for him. I have used this ammunition in five different 300 WSM's and have come to the conclusion that if a Savage rifle doesn't shoot this ammunition well there is something wrong with the rifle or the shooter or both! Glad your rifle likes it!

Ya Im glad it likes both but Im probably gonna stick with the fusion because 28$ a box is a lot cheaper then 43$.

Murphy
10-22-2011, 05:48 PM
If your first shot is a bit wide off a clean cold barrel it simply means that your barrel is not clean enough. Get some Sweets solvent or some other preparation that is made to remove copper fouling and give it a good clean. Have a close look at the bullet holes in your target and if they have a black or grey ring around them the barrel is not properly clean. Congratulations , sounds like a real nice shooter. ;D

5spd
10-22-2011, 06:18 PM
My accutrigger is set at 1.5 lbs according to my trigger gauge on my .223, so yours should go close to that as well.
I know there are some that have issues with the trigger that low/or wont go that low, but mines perfect and no hangups ever.
As for your accuracy with the 300...very good as stated by the others.

PKRobbins
10-22-2011, 09:57 PM
My savage rifle blew me away the first trip to the range shooting Federal Premium ammo I got this
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/bjfergpls/22-250.jpg
out of a 22-250. Call me a heretic but I break in a barrel by shooting it. I cleaned it when I got home 20 rounds later. I've had Remmingtons, Winchesters and A-Bolts they never came close to this with factory ammo. The only other rifles I've had come close were Tikkas. Your accutrigger won't go any lower unless you have a tactical, target, or varmint gun.

huntinman57
10-22-2011, 11:17 PM
I just cleaned with some solvent and it was a little dirty not to bad though.

ellobo
10-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Savage barrels will shoot better dirty. As most here will tell you, dont clean until accuracy drops off. Then clean and de-copper the barrel, shoot it a few shots to dirty the barrel then go hunting.

El Lobo

huntinman57
10-23-2011, 10:02 PM
I shot it today after cleaning it last night and it took a few shots for the groups to come back down to size. Today was 200yrd day and the fusions stayed tight up and down but was about 3in across the winchester stayed nice and tight about half dollar maybe a touch bigger. Looks like ill b using the winchester which wouldnt ya know is 10 bucks higher