PDA

View Full Version : Removing scope for barrel change.

Hatari
10-21-2011, 07:26 AM
When you do a barrel change, can you leave the bottom halves of your scope ring on? If you need to remove the rings completely, can you leave the Picatinny rail base on the rifle?

savageboy
10-21-2011, 07:52 AM
There may be a way to, but the way we do it, w/ barrel blocks and action wrench, the way the wrench locks into the action you can't. It would be nice if you could

memilanuk
10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
If you are clamping on the barrel... unless the rail extends forward past the recoil lug and over the nut (like NF and some EGW bases do) I don't see any reason why you can't leave the rail in place.

For that matter, why would you leave the bottom half of the scope rings in place to begin with if you are using a Picatinny rail?

Hatari
10-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks a lot for very prompt replies. To tell the truth, I don't have a modern Savage yet :P. All I have is an old 1969 model 110 in 338 win mag, lh. I'll be getting a savage very soon, and am just gathering data.

savageboy
10-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Yeah if the rail is not too long, you can leave it, Def. not the scope, etc. though

Eric in NC
10-21-2011, 10:11 AM
The front base screw usually has to come out as it extends through to the barrel threads (i.e. will act as a lock screw when you try to unscrew the barrel).

darkker
10-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Eric is correct. In all my dealings, the base screws usually act as a lock screw. You REALLY don't want to turn the barrel with the base screws embedded in the threads. VERY bad Ju-ju.

lal357
10-22-2011, 05:41 AM
thanks for the heads up on front base screws i have a egw base and i'm planning on cutting the base back to clear the barrel nut but didnt think about the mounting screws. i may have to look and see if they protrude next time i take the barrel off and shorten them .

GaCop
10-22-2011, 06:35 AM
I've Dremel cut a number of EGW bases in order to get a short scope to come back far enough w/o the bell hitting the mount. After the cut and smoothing the area with 600 grit paper, I degrease with MEK and touch it up with Birchwood-Casey aluminum black.

larryk40c
10-22-2011, 07:13 AM
I also shorten the front screw to make sure that it will not touch the threads of the barrel. On the zero moa egws I have reversed the base and can bring my scope back closer for eye relief.