PDA

View Full Version : No Mods

MTJON
10-20-2011, 11:15 PM
If you were to buy a rifle and make no mods, any reason not to buy model 25? or would a Stevens be a better choice for some reason? Looking for a truckgun/plinker in .223.

Jon

ellobo
10-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Model 25 is fine, those that have them like them. Better bet is a Stevens 200. I think the model 25 is the more expensive of the two. You can change calibers on the model 200 by swapping barrels and or boltheads. I think you can on the newer 25's as they have a smooth barrel nut on them according to Fred Moreo but I doubt that there are aftermarket barrels for them.

El Lobo

sharpshooter
10-21-2011, 12:17 AM
If you want a no-mod truck gun...buy an Axis.

ellobo
10-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Damn, forgot about the Axis. Fred is right, cheapest of the bunch.

El Lobo

teebirdhyzer
10-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I have a model twenty five "classic" with the sporter barrel and walnut stock. Mine is super accurate. It shoots 1/2 moa or better with Fiocchi and ultramax 40grain factory ammo. I bought it before I had every done a barrel swap, and now it irritates me a little that I can't swap it out.....however, I would probably have to get really lucky for a new barrel to shoot any better! I really like mine and shoot it quite regularly.

MTJON
10-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for replies. I think what I was trying to ask was; would the better factory stock on the 25 out weigh the cost of Stevens? Just looking for a platform to tryout 223 before doing a full build that is already in planning phase.

Jon

bootsmcguire
10-21-2011, 10:08 PM
I would say get the Stevens and get a better stock. Boyds has some that look nice and have good reviews with members here. A lot of those can be had new for around $100. You could then use the Stevens action for your build (unless you were planning a Target Action Build).

MTJON
10-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks again
Will pick up a Stevens this weekend, maybe use it for future build. Did consider Axis/Edge along with 25 or Stevens, just want something to shoot in this caliber while getting parts together for current build. Current build will be from pawn shop donor. The idea being, can I bring a beat up POS back to life.

Jon

gotcha
10-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Building Savages has brought this beat up POS back to life. Maybe It'll work for you too ;D