PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Savage rifles to get scope levels correct...

DutchH
10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I have bull barreled Savages in Model 110 .30-06 and Model 10 .308 with Choate Ultimate Varmit stocks and am wondering how to set the rifles level so I may level my scope reticles using a plumb bob. There are no flat areas on the rifles for a level,so would the picatinny rails be a good place to get a good level reading ? Once I could get them leveled I have a barrel clamp level I could mount so the one on the rail could be moved allowing the scope to sit into the rings. I have a Nightforce benchrest scope and a Millett LR for them and want both accurately leveled for long range shooting.Hope someone knows a really good way of doing this without buying costly equipment.........

Mudcat
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
That is what I do either the rail or the bottom half of the rings before I put the scope in them.

geargrinder
10-20-2011, 09:39 PM
I use a set of feeler gauges between the bottom of the scope and the rail.

Mount the scope loosely in the rings. Choose the stack of feeler gauges that fits snug between the rail and the scope. Snug down the scope. Remove the gauges. Done.

chemist1
10-20-2011, 10:05 PM
+1 on the feeler gauge method.

82boy
10-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I fitted a pices of aluminum that slides in the raceway of the action. I then place a leval on the piece of aluminum sticking out the back of the action to get a center of where the action is. I have found that it is possible that the rails, or bases on an action can be off leval with the action, especialy on the older flat back actions. (There is tolarences in the bases, screws, and action it self, a reason why some shooters with bed the bass to the action.)

memilanuk
10-21-2011, 12:55 AM
I've seen pics of the feeler gauge method over on SH; never been able to make it work to where I was really comfortable with it. Dunno...

Nowadays I generally just fit a bipod w/ a swivel head to the rifle, and stick a level or a Wixey to the scope rail. Level it up, and lock down the swivel. Slip the scope and rings back on, put the level or Wixey on top of the elevation turret and level the scope. Attach the scope level and adjust it to match.

Yes I know there are (theoretically) ways for errors to sneak in at various points in the above process... but when I go to the range and set up a thermometer target by placing a 4' high by 2' wide (roughly) piece of cardboard @ 100yds and place an aiming point @ the bottom and then strike a plum line using a construction level and a sharpie... I zero the gun for 100yds and then crank the scope from the 100yd zero to 300yds to 600yds to 800yds to 1000yds, then crank on 10 moa of windage one way, then back to center, 10 moa the other way, back to center, and back down to 100yd zero again... everything works as advertised (at least with a NF scope...). Never had any problems with being 'off' on level, etc.