PDA

View Full Version : Left hand options

jmg8550
11-12-2009, 01:04 AM
I am new to bolt action rifles, and have decided to get a .308 Savage. I would like to know from you experienced Savage guys what options are possible for a left hand model.

I would like these features:
-20" medium or heavy barrel
-accu-trigger
-accu-stock
-left handed
-no muzzle brake
-detachable mag
-camo pattern(not digital) mossy oak or winter pattern

Is this combination possible from the factory? If not, how would I go about getting the rifle set-up this way.
Also, I know this is a longshot, but is there anyone who could convert the rifle to accept an M1A type mag?
Please forgive my ignorance.
And mods, I seem to have posted this in the wrong section, could you please move it to the appropriate one.

Peter_Kirch
11-12-2009, 01:58 AM
With your specs looks like you got a choice between a Model 12 VLP left handed and a 12 FLV. If you wanted to build one then you have tons of options.... Us leftys just dont have a huge market segment. Acutally they arnt chambered in .308. to get exactly what you want take the jump and BUILD IT. Lots of great guys here will help you out.

Talk to Jim Briggs here he is know as Northlander GREAT prices

geargrinder
11-12-2009, 02:01 AM
VLP is wood stock. FLV doesn't come in 308. Neither are DBM.

They're discriminating against us lefties. ;D

Peter_Kirch
11-12-2009, 02:11 AM
ahhh yes sorry its late. let me explain... there is no factory rifle that you will get your exact setup. I decided to build one... actually I just bought a Model 16 LH action from a guy on this site. for .308 you will want to look for an action with a bolt head size of .473. The .308 shares the same bolt head with a 22-250. It can be long but unless you are upgrading to say a .30-06 later(not sure why you would) i would get a short.

Actually if you don't want a super precise target rifle, once you get the action you could build a pretty decent rifle out of factory take-off parts here in our classified section.

I went with Sharp shooter supply and Fred is going to make an LVT stock,Douglass barrel, and do a TT for my action.

jmg8550
11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
So if I wanted to build one, how much is a reciever. I am still very much a noob when it comes to options and features. Many of the local gun stores don't know much about these rifles, even though they are authorized dealers. Is it possible to convert a left hand to accept a detachable box magazine? If so, who can convert them and what am I limited to as far as style of mag (ie. M14/M1A) as I currently own one and it would make sense to me to stick with one rifle mag. I really like the price and potential of these rifles and am looking for a long range tactical/hunting rifle. I would like to stick with the short action, and if the stock has to be black I may just paint it myself. Thanks for the rapid replies and suggestions, keep them coming. And maybe some picture examples of members rifles would help. I am set on buying/building a Savage.

3fingervic
11-13-2009, 11:30 AM
You could also call Effie in the Savage arms custom shop. They could build one to your specs. I had them make a 110 FCP-K in LH. I'm sure they could hook you up. The only question are cost, and quality. Could you build one on your own that is "better", or less expensive.

Peter_Kirch
11-13-2009, 01:29 PM
A brand new unfired blued LH action runs $325 and stainless $375 for a short action set up for .308 from northlander
Left handed actions tend to be scarce. i JUST bought a .308 Stainless short action from a member on here for $385 which included a tactical bolt handle and synthetic stock and it is currently in the mail.

SSS and Mcmillan stocks are both made to order so they can be ordered in LH flavors. with all options an SSS LVT stock will run you about $400 where as a Mcmillan A5 stock will run you closer to $750. Don't ask me which one is better I going to order an SSS LVT because the wait time is shorter and they are cheaper. There are cheaper stocks out there that offer great performance but i don't think they are availabe in LH versions. Check out B&C medalist, B&C Duramaxx, or a Choate Tactical. If you are just going to be painting the stock, the RH are the same as the LH versions, only the bolt cutout is on the wrong side. Just Dremel out the Left side, fill in the right side with bondo and paint over it.
A good barrel such as Mcgowen, Douglass, Shilen will run you around $300

The accu-trigger is good as a factory trigger. But for $100 you can get a Competition trigger over at SSS for $100 dollars. itll break like glass
Good luck find bottom metal for a DBM setup that is from a factory rifle. You could always buy an aftermarket DBM setup but they also run around $350

Personally I don't think it is hard to build a rifle to better than factory quality. You could just have a gunsmith build the whole thing if you are not a DIY guy. Buying all the separate parts and having it built will give you an accurate rifle that fits you. By the time you get done it probably will not have been cheaper.
Two things before I end: Buy a membership here. it not alot of money for getting access to the classifieds and tech articles.
second: Call around to all the places like SSS and the Savage Custom Shop so you can make an Informed decision on which way you want to go.

-Peter

Gary paugh
11-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I just had savage build me a left handed model 10 precision carbine in .308 win.
Love the rifle it shoots great.

jmg8550
11-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I just had savage build me a left handed model 10 precision carbine in .308 win.
Love the rifle it shoots great.

what did you pay for it? and could you send me some pictures?

Gary paugh
11-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Mine cost me $900.00 Total i opted not to get the camo stock.
I will try to get some pic's up later today.

Gary

3fingervic
11-16-2009, 07:03 PM
By the way all the SSS stocks are offered in a LH configuration. If I were you I would look at a 10 FLCP-K. It's left handed, has the detachable mag, accustock and accutrigger. You could have a gunsmith cut the barrel 4 inches. I've seen the gun retail for less than $750. I don't know what the smith would charge for the barrel chop. You could probably paint the stock yourself.

jmg8550
11-16-2009, 09:53 PM
yup, that's what I am looking for. I called a few stores around here and all they came up with was the 10 flcp. What does the k designate. I realize the barrel is 24 inches. So I figure I will cut the barrel down to 20 inches if I don't like it that long. Also does anyone make a 10 or more round mag for these? Thanks guys, you all have been a very big help.

geargrinder
11-16-2009, 09:56 PM
The K is the new one with the baffle style muzzle brake.

That's pretty much the gun I'm looking for. I wish I could get that configuration in stainless. I'd also get the long action.

firemachine69
11-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Get in tough with the Savage custom shop. That is the only way you will get what you want.

Or just order a 10FLCP, and paint the sucker to your desires.

big honkin jeep
11-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Here is a factory pre accutrigger 116 FLCSAK in 30-06 . It happens to be my favorite bolt gun. It's so accurate most people think I'm blowing smoke up their skirt till they see it. It doesn't need the accutrigger (factory trigger has been adjusted to right at 2#) or the accustock to shoot 1/2 MOA with handloads. It has fired a 10 shot group of .446 :o Don't like the brake? Turn it off. The barrel is fluted and with the brake is 22" long. The rifle weighs about 6 1/2 # without the loopy. Yes it has the detachable box.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/HPIM1194_015.jpg

Camo is easy too. I use a camo sock from hunters specialties.Years ago I took my son in the woods and leaned my rifle against a tree to put him in a stand. The darn sun was nearly up before I found it. :-[ of course it didn't have the sling.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/HPIM1194_002_005.jpg
At the time this one had all the bells and whistles available and Savage was making all of their catalog rifles available in either right or left handed versions. It shoots the lights out without the newer design stock or trigger.As with any factory gun there are Good ones that leave the factory,Great ones that leave the factory and Lemons that leave the factory. I hope you find a great one.
Good luck I'm sure you can find something to fill the bill.
BHJ