PDA

View Full Version : New Here!

thejetman
10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself here. I am the proud new owner of a slightly used Savage 111 GCNS 30-06. Accutrigger. One year old, traded a metal detector straight up for it.
Had this weapon for a week now and came accross this website, so here I am lol. This is the only second bolt action rifle I own, I also have a Rem 788 in .308. I have not got to shoot the 111 yet, but was wondering what I could expect from it. I am not a pro by any means, just your regular weekend shooter.
Thanks everyone in advance!

ellobo
10-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the brotherhood of the barrel nut. Conrats on getting a good one. Just make sure the barrel and tang are free floated. tighten all screws especialy the receiver mouting screws to 35-40 inch lbs and clean the barrel, especially use copper cleaner. Savage barels will copper up until they have a lot of shots smoothing out the barrel. Expect great accuracy from this rifle if all is set up properly.
Good luck

El Lobo

GaCop
10-20-2011, 05:49 AM
+1 on ellobo's advice. Your 788 is an interesting collector's item that is accurate in it's own right. To add; fire the 111 first to see how accurate it is with various brands of ammunition or, if you handload, try a few of the book "accuracy loads" to see which is better. Glass bedding never does any harm when done right and could improve accuracy too.

The great thing about the Savage/Stevens is the ability of the owner to make changes and improvements w/o having to spend a fortune at the gunsmith's.

Your going to love it here. There's a wealth of knowledge and members are more than happy to help when you have a problem. There are a number of good technical articles on the forum but you must be a paid member to access them. It's the best 12/year you'll ever spend and it lets you access the classifieds too.

jim36
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Couple of months ago, I stopped at the pawn shop and there was a nice 111/w accutrigger. It had a Bass pro red head scope on it.
Got it for $200. On the way to the house, I decided I would order a Boyds stock for it. Got home cleaned it up, adjusted the trigger, put a little glass around the recoil lug( Synthetic stock) and mounted a Nikon 3.5x10x50 Older Monarch. JB in the bore. Took it to the range and she shot .5 @ 100. No way was I going to change out the stock. It is now one of my favorite shooters. It likes the 165 gr. Nosler BT, with 56 gr. of H4350. Jet man, I hope you are as happy with yours as I am.
Jim <")))><

bootsmcguire
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Welcome aboard. You should be very happy with that gun, just a tip, Most factory Savage barrels shoot the best groups when they are a little dirty so clean the heck out of it before taking it out and then don't worry too much about it until accuracy starts to fall off.

thejetman
10-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Well my overall impressions of the weapon is that the fit and finish are great! The only thing I don't like so far is the bolt knob, it seems a little small. Would like to find something a bit bigger and a tad longer if they make them. Next weekend I am going to through some ammo downrange and see how she does. I am going to go by the Savage "break in" manual I found on their website. As far as ammo is concerened. I got a box of Federal 150's to use as break in ammo. If I want to get more accuracy out of it you guys have any recommends? I am leaning towards getting a reload kit this winter to keep me occupied. But till then its factory stuff.

Here is what she looks liek\\ke.

http://i55.tinypic.com/bhb0n8.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2dcbbx0.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/5d13me.jpg

thejetman
10-21-2011, 12:47 AM
I did have a chance to pull it apart and clean it sunday. Its practically brand new. No wear on the reciever and only took me 4 patches for the barrel to be spotless. I am loving the action on this thing too, its so incredibly smooth!

ellobo
10-21-2011, 01:27 AM
There are several makers of larger tactical bolt handles. the only one I can emember is SharpShooterSupply who is a vendor who advertises here, but there are others.

el Lobo

bootsmcguire
10-21-2011, 09:56 PM
The only thing I don't like so far is the bolt knob, it seems a little small. Would like to find something a bit bigger and a tad longer if they make them.

There are several makers out there. The SSS ones are very nice, I have one and like it. Don't use it much any more, but they are nice handles. There are several other makers out there. A quick search here will bring up several threads regarding bolt handle options, look around you may be surprised at whats available, ;).

gotcha
10-22-2011, 12:22 AM
Welcome aboard Mr. jetman ! I really like that modified creedmore shooting position ;) Sounds like ya' got a heck of a deal on the aught six! I've nothing to add to the above advice. Shoot it & let us know how ya' did. Good luck

thejetman
10-23-2011, 04:00 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/4hxh85.jpg

One hundred yards. the three shots were me walking the scope in. The three shot group in the middle was with cheap Federal 150's. Ironically. It shot great with the 150g. The 168 corelokt was about an inch or so at one hundred. It really helped having a laser boresight tool though. The trigger is absolutely fantastic. Now, how can I squeeze these closer?

teebirdhyzer
10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
that's a good looking group!

243LPR
10-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Handloading will tighten things up once you figure out the intended use and the bullet it likes.