PDA

View Full Version : So I've got this 10FP...

Trebor Snave
10-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Rookie here, bear with me. Interesting reading on this forum!

A few years ago I started shooting F-TR, using Army weapons and ammo (hey, the National Guard has shooting teams; who knew?) and I enjoyed it. I did pretty well using an old M24 and M118LR, but I much prefer to own my competition guns so I started looking around at what was available. Fortunately for me (not so much for him), an acquaintance was going through a divorce and was selling his 10FP. I'd been looking at the Savage 10FCP McMillan but the FP was in my budget... with less than 200 rounds down the tube according to the owner. Call it 200 to be on the safe side. It's a stagger feed, accutrigger model.

It came with a Ken Farrel 10 MOA base and rings so I put a Burris 3200 10X on it. I didn't care for how I could flex the forearm over to touch the barrel, so the stock came off and I ordered a Choate "Ultimate Varmint" from CombatStocks. The old bipod I had didn't really fit well on the Choate, but it worked.

What with one thing and another, I was only able to get a rough zero on the rifle before the first local match came around. I put the published data from my ammo into a ballistic calculator and got a rough come-up for 800 yards, and it worked just fine; but my scores were down from the M24. Turned out the bipod had come loose on the stock and was sliding around in the rail, so I tightened it down, shrugged and drove on.

Now, let me explain that I mostly shoot high power and F-TR is just a sidelight at those matches, so the Savage really didn't get looked at until the next match. At 1000 yards this time, my scores were much lower than my usual. Again, a side match to high power, so I didn't think much of it. This pattern continued all summer and I was starting to get a little annoyed. Finally, last month the state long range championships rolled around and the Savage and I were ready - or so I thought. I'd taken 200 rounds of M118LR, pulled the bullet and cleaned the tar off, uniformed the powder charges, and reseated the bullets to where they soft-seated into the lands. I didn't have a chance to group these, but they couldn't be any worse, right?

Day one of the shoot was beautiful, almost no wind at all, and I shot horribly. Not even worth talking about. For day two I switched back to that M24 and with my prepped ammo at 800 yards shot a 147-4x - and the three nines were me, not the rifle. Well, what do you know - I can shoot. I thought I'd forgotten how! But that pointed at the rifle being the problem, so when I got home I pulled it out for a once over and found a couple of issues that were my fault; loose action screws AND loose scope. Yeah, that's not a good combo. I re-tightened everything and headed for the range with a clean rifle to see what that had fixed.

Go ahead and laugh now, because other than the first three shots to get the rifle zeroed, I'd never shot it for groups. Just took it to the matches and shot it. Yes, I can be an idiot. Fired off a bench, from a mechanical rest, 10 rounds of LR went into 1.77" at 100 yards. My uniformed ammo was worse; 10 rounds into 2" at 100. The conclusion I've reached is that this isn't going to cut it; the X ring on an F target is 0.5 MOA at 1000 yards and my rifle won't do that at 100, so it's time to make some changes.

First, that Choate stock is going away. Nice stock, but it and I just don't fit well in prone. Not sure why. A B&C A2 is on the way to replace it. When that gets here I'm going to shoot some more groups to see if that made a difference, but I'm not thinking it will. I hope it does though, because the next change would be pretty radical.

If changing the stock doesn't help, I'm going to rebarrel it to 223. For several reasons, I don't reload 308. I do reload a LOT of 223 for shooting high power, though. This would just add to the amount. 223 at 1000 yards ought to be fun, anyway!

Well, thanks for letting me vent. I sure will enjoy trying to make this rifle work.

psharon97
10-18-2011, 01:44 PM
What loads are you shooting through your rifle?

keeki
10-18-2011, 01:57 PM
The fp10 has a rifling of 1in10 where the M24 has 1in11.25 5R rifling. Cant assume theyre gonna like the same round especially when that ammo was specifically made for the M24. having said that, have you scrubbed the copper out of it and maybe checked the crown for damage? Ive shot lots of savages and stevens in 308 and Ive never had one group that bad. May need to play with the load a little to get it to shoot.

keeki
10-18-2011, 02:11 PM
M118LR is 175gr sierra MatchKing boat tail hollow point and they wont tell ya what the powder is. Federal makes it using match grade cases and gold metal match primers and it is specifically made for the M24 rifle

Trebor Snave
10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
According to Alliant, the powder is Reloder 15. When I pulled the ammo apart, the charge was 43.5 grains, plus or minus a tenth. Take that for what you paid for it.

The barrel was scrubbed to remove copper and fouling, and the first shot showed it; about 8 inches higher than the second shot. After that it settled down, but wasn't great. Crown looks good as well.

I may switch to Varget and see if I can't get some better accuracy with that.

ellobo
10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Welcome to the brotherhood of the barrel nut. Quite a narative. The one thing missing is properly handloaded ammo to match the rifle. Until you do that you wont be competative in any shooting discipline. Even high cost competition commercial ammo will not match your rifle for the accuracy you need.

El Lobo

brimic
10-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi, my first post here, but I'll chime in.

I recently purchased a Savage 10 FP Choate from Cabelas (I think the stock is a cabelas exclusive...) for local reduced F-class matches, and possible 1000 yard matches in the future....

You might want to try different ammo combinations.
Or, if you are getting the military match ammo for free, take your 'mexican match' loading to another level.
If its currently loaded at 43.5gr, try try shooting an array of ladder loads at that charge, backing the bullet off the lands in .010" increments, to find where you harmonic nodes are, then repeat using your best seating depth with a ladder of powder charges. You should pinpoint a charge/seating depth that will give you good accuracy, use this to run a few test groups. You'll probably find that the bullets like to be seated .010-0.20" off the lands.

Its a bit of work, but its worth it.

Your M24 and M118 were optimized for eachother, you just have to do a bit of legwork to make the cartidge work with the savage.

I'd be really surprised if you don't coax 0.5 MOA accuracy out of your rifle.

FWIW, I shot the rifle in a local club match (reduced 200 yard) and kept them all in the 10-ring. I didn't come close to winning, but that's more of the fault of the guy jerking the trigger in this instance.

brimic
10-18-2011, 02:57 PM
To add: Varget is a really good choice, but also consider IMR-4895.

hank440
10-18-2011, 03:22 PM
I use varget to the temp will not affect it at all.

For factory ammo federal 175 is the only I have found that will allow you to be competitive.

I use Bryan Litz's fullbore load with the 155.5 gr berger bullet, it goes 2890 fps out of my savage has an ES of 8 and shoots less than .5 MOA ;D
;D
I shot a match this past sunday 3x600 and shot a 525 5x. it was my first F class match.

Trebor Snave
10-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I've got lots of Varget on hand, so I'll use that before buying anything else. Or stick with the Re-15, uniform weights, and play with the seating depth some more.

Gotta admit I'd prefer using this barrel; it's got less than 500 rounds through it.

One other minor annoyance is that, often enough to be noticeable, a fired case won't eject. It extracts just fine, but ends up lying on the magazine. Not sure if the extractor is letting go a little early or what. I can reproduce this by loading an empty case and then easing the bolt back. Do all Savages do that? I'd rather it kick out every time.

brimic
10-18-2011, 05:00 PM
One other minor annoyance is that, often enough to be noticeable, a fired case won't eject. It extracts just fine, but ends up lying on the magazine. Not sure if the extractor is letting go a little early or what. I can reproduce this by loading an empty case and then easing the bolt back. Do all Savages do that? I'd rather it kick out every time.

Might have a bit of grit or debris stuck behind the ejector? ???

keeki
10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Varget is good stuff as is rl15, Ive always had good luck with IMR4064 and BLC2. I know the military ammo MK316 is 175gr sierra bthp with 41.745gr of IMR4064

romulus
10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm with ellobo. You probably won't be competitive if there are guys present that are sorting cases, prepping cases to consistent parameters, and using powders and bullets optimized for THAT rifle. Most competitions aren't shooting matches. They're practise, procedure, and knowledge matches.

Your ejector problem could possibly result from whipping the bolt back after each shot. I used to throw my bolt open and catch the brass all in one fluid motion until it killed the reliability of my extraction/ ejection. I watch people a lot and besides guys that disable their ejectors or keep their eye in the scope 100% of the time hardly anyone pulls the bolt back slowly.

My 10 fcp hs holds .25 moa when I'm shooting good and .55 when I'm off a bit out to 600 (prone, front bipod, rear monopod). I'm obsessive about my loading and load development, and noticed many more people than I expected think it's all in the hold and trigger pull.

Good luck with your Sav10. Oh, I never shoot mine on paper with any in the mag. Just a habit but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Unless you build a load for your rifle the .223 won't necessarily be better unless you luck into a load that fits THAT setup.

Trebor Snave
10-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Minor disaster averted - did I mention this is my first Savage?

Pulled the bolt when I got home this evening to see if there was anything under the extractor. There wasn't, but I discovered that the extractor comes out very easily! The extractor itself flew into an empty bucket on the floor and the ball landed on my desk, where I found it after a few minutes of shining a flashlight around. Reassembled inside a gallon ziplock. Whew.

Ejection - I pulled an empty out of my ammo box, chambered it, and it failed to eject. Now it does it more often than not, and it seems to not matter what speed I pull the bolt back. It's just weird. Good thing this isn't a dangerous game rifle!

I never shoot with any in the mag - F-TR is a single load game and I'm going to be getting a benchrest follower next time I make a Midway order. Which will probably be tomorrow, since I guess I'd better get a sizing die.

MrMajestic
10-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Since your not a .308 reloader try a box of Federal Gold Medal Match and/or Lapua Scenar. These are a standard in the .308.

seanhagerty
10-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Trebor, Ill give you 8 bucks and a case of beer for it.

Trebor Snave
10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
After this comedy of errors, I'm almost willing to take you up on that.

Almost. Not quite.

seanhagerty
10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Trebor, Ill give you 8 bucks and a case of beer for it.

Make that a 30 pack of Natty lite!!

I'll send shipping info to you. ;D

darkker
10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
As to the M118LR ammo, they actually "do say" what powder goes in it. I have the spec sheet at the house, they list the load with 2 different powders actually.

barrel-nut
10-19-2011, 04:07 PM
I had the same extraction problem with mine. Replaced the extractor; problem solved. They're available from Midway USA (since you mentioned you were ordering from them today).