PDA

View Full Version : Rechamber

rjtfroggy
10-18-2011, 05:32 AM
I got in touch with a local gun smith yesterday about redoing a barrel from 30br to 308 and he said no problem. Then I told him it was off a Savage well then the BS started.He explained the receiver and lugs needed to be trued,that the nut needed to be eliminated because all the force from recoil goes to the nut not thier excuse for a recoil lug.
Now this man is not a new comer he used to shoot the competition circuit and was pretty good at it.He has built many winning guns for others, he just doesn't know Savages.
He went on to explain that there isn't a Savage made that will out last a custom Rem. or one of the clones that are built for competition and one needs to change the configuration in order to compete against them.
Needless to say my barrel will go elsewhere for the work to be done.Waiting to hear back from SSS.Fred is the one who originally did the barrel.

montana bob
10-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Sounds like a crock to me but I'm not an expert. I'm looking forward to hearing what the other smarter (than me) guys have to say.

snowgetter1
10-18-2011, 09:22 AM
WOW SinArms is good for the rechamber also.

airaddict
10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Sounds like he may have more experience in remmys than savages if hes trying to steer u like that. Yeah, ur prob better off getting on freds or SSS waiting list or even sinarms. All are true savage experts!

Brian

keeki
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
sounds like a typical businessman trying to make money doing a lot of needless work. When people do me like that I just repeat what I want them to do(rechamber it) not rebuild it. But Im with everyone else, take it to a savage man.

psharon97
10-18-2011, 01:40 PM
I got in touch with a local gun smith yesterday about redoing a barrel from 30br to 308 and he said no problem. Then I told him it was off a Savage well then the BS started.He explained the receiver and lugs needed to be trued,that the nut needed to be eliminated because all the force from recoil goes to the nut not thier excuse for a recoil lug.
Now this man is not a new comer he used to shoot the competition circuit and was pretty good at it.He has built many winning guns for others, he just doesn't know Savages.
He went on to explain that there isn't a Savage made that will out last a custom Rem. or one of the clones that are built for competition and one needs to change the configuration in order to compete against them.
Needless to say my barrel will go elsewhere for the work to be done.Waiting to hear back from SSS.Fred is the one who originally did the barrel.

Wait...both Savage and Remington both use recoil lugs. As far as a T&T job, that has nothing to do with a barrel rechamber. As far as one action outlasting another action, that statement is BS. Furthermore, I have seen quality Remingtons and Savage and both are shooters, mostly for the same reason. Quality reloads, trigger time, quality trigger, quality barrel, quality scope, just to name a few. IMO, one action is not going to be inherently better than the other.

SuperChuck
10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Really blow his mind, take a RemAge barrel to him and see how long before he blows his fuse.....

SC

efm77
10-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Ask him if he's noticed how many factory stock Savages have been winning competitions lately against tricked out Remingtons and customs. No really it's not worth your time. There are smith's out there that will do the work for you. Sinman is top notch. I had a similar experience a couple years ago with a local smith. He wasn't bashing the action so much as he was the barrel nut and me wanting to keep it. But he also didn't want to do the work to the action that I wanted so I told him he wouldn't get and of my business and I found someone who would do what I wanted. Bottom line is he can have his own opinions about something but if he's running a business and it's your action or barrel and you specify what you want done, it shouldn't matter whether he thinks it's right or not. If he wants to get paid he'll do the work you request.

rjtfroggy
10-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Seems as if everybody is to busy to answer emails or they just don't want the work.I have contacted 2 forum members about doing it but so far(2days) no answers.

Cover Dog
10-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I sent sinman a pm on Oct. 3rd. I'm still waiting for a reply.

seanhagerty
10-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Just get a barrel and change it yourself. If you are close, I will help you,

Sean

rjtfroggy
10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Just got an answer from SSS and it will ship out by Friday.

savageboy
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Um I disagree w/ the Rem vs. Sav. thing. I shoot competitivly w/ bat, bernard, etc. actions, full customs, etc. and don't always win, but I do pretty respectable w/ a Sav. Target action, Kreiger barrel, EVO trigger, SSS BR stock finished and bedded by me, chambered (nutless) by a respected member of the BR community on 6mmbr.com and have alot less in my rig than others. I did put alot of work and time into it, but much less than a full custom. Idid nutless as I wanted something different this time. Not sure that it matters much, but that is what i did.