PDA

View Full Version : Action screw too long

TAB
10-17-2011, 02:40 PM
I replaced the front action screw on a model 12BVSS with a Savage factory screw ordered from Brownells.

With the new action screw installed, the bolt would not go into battery. The screw was a little over one thread too long and was interfering with the bolt lug.

Just a heads-up. Not all parts are the same - even from the factory.

TAB

ellobo
10-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Did you get a set of screws for front and back? Check them to see if they are the same length, if one is longer put it in the rear and try the shorter one in the front. if they are the same length just grind or file off a thread at a time until it doesnt intrude into the reciever interior.

El Lobo

squirrelsniper
10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
This is also a more common issue with the older rifles that are not pillar bedded. Without pillars and over years of taking the stock off and then reinstalling, the wood compresses and the screw ends up being too long. I've bought a couple older rifles cheaply because the owners couldn't get the rifle to shoot well and just wanted to get rid of the rifle. A quick look at the bolt head revealed it was contacting the front action screw. Filing down the screw a thread or so resulted in me having a cheap and accurate rifle.

oneeyeross
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
This also occurs sometimes when you buy a boyd's stock and an older (pre 95 or so) Savage. Easy fix with a grinder

TAB
10-17-2011, 09:20 PM
This is a fairly new, pillar bedded rifle so I would not expect stock compression. Yes, I did get both front and rear screws, which are noticably different lengths and were not reversed. The problem was easily fixed with a file and hone.

There were two lessons to be learned. Always check the parts, even the simple ones. Always do a function check following maintenance, no matter how minor the maintenance.

I'm just happy I had not driven a couple hundered miles and walked a couple more to a hunting camp and then found the problem.

sharpshooter
10-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Action screw lengths:
Short set...used on "F"(tupperware stocks)
front-1.100"
rear-1.510"
Long set...used on "G" and "B" (birch and laminated stocks)
front-1.170"
rear-1.570"

Some of the later VLP stocks used the shorter front screw(1.1.00")

bosstom
10-18-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm just happy I had not driven a couple hundered miles and walked a couple more to a hunting camp and then found the problem.

Anytime something is changed on your rifle you should ALWAYS shoot and check for POI shift.

savageboy
10-19-2011, 06:26 PM
I had to use a dremmel and cut a few thread off my action screws to make the bolt work as it should when I went from a factory stock to a B&C Medlist. Worked fine after that. Bolt wouldnt close after torquing down the action screws after bedding it, putting a new barrel on it, etc. dremmel fixed that. Not sure thats your issue but it fixed mine. My 260AI worked great after that. 10FP action- new northlander, Shilen 260AI match bull bbl 28", etc. factory screws were too long, hung bolt up. thats my 2C :)