PDA

View Full Version : new Shilen for my 111 in .270 Win ?

capn
11-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey now,

I'm looking at replacing my factory 22" sporter barrel with either Shilen's varmint or bull barrel in the same length. The rifle is mainly used for target shooting at the range, and is my infrequent hunting rifle as well. My factory barrel heats up and strings rather quickly compared to my buddy's 10FP and I'm willing to take a little extra weight when hunting for the extra accuracy and heat dissipation of a heavier barrel. I'd like to keep the same barrel length too.

Shilen says the accuracy difference in .270 is minimal between the varmint and bull barrels. Would the heat dissipation be greater with the bull over the varmint and would the difference be worth the extra weight, given that I might be taking this into the woods.

Anybody care to weigh in?

Thanks

Iron Mike Golf
11-11-2009, 09:21 PM
A heavier barrel will not dissipate heat (get rid of heat) faster than a lighter barrel. A heavier barrel will heat up and coll down slower than a lighter barrel. The lighter barrel will heat up and cool down quicker.

I can't weigh in on how long a string you can shoot before your groups start opening up with varmint vs bull contours. There's usually a bigger difference between sporter and varmint then between varmint and bull.