PDA

View Full Version : Model 11 GHNS: tech specs?

Khorban
10-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey forumgoers,

I just picked up a model 11 GHNS, 7mm-08. New old stock -- the mini-catalog in the box says 2006 on the front. I can't seem to find much info about a model 11 GHNS. It isn't referenced in any catalogs or specifications I can find. FHNS and GCNS are listed, but not GHNS. I believe the G stands for walnut stock, H for hinged floorplate, and NS, well I don't know.

Specifically, I'm curious about the rate of twist. For all the listed 7mm-08s, it seems to be 9.5, but this model isn't listed. Any good reason I should expect it to be different?

And if anyone can find a link to formal Savage specs for it, 2 points for you.

This is my first Savage, actually first new rifle ever (been all used up till now). Putting a Redfield 3-9x40 on it this weekend and getting ready for PA deer season. Looking forward to joining the forums here, so thanks for any help!

rjtfroggy
10-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Go to www.savagearms.com and put in the serial# in the parts finder section that should give you the specs.(I think), as for "ns"= no sights.
Some where here on the forum there is a listing of all the letter denominations, try searching or FAQ section.
Try running a cleaning rod down the barrel, then measure how far it went making a revolution that will give you the twist,ie: 7"= 1:7,9"= 1:9 that is the best way to tell. Savage changes things all the time and make things in different configurations for different vendors.
You bought yourself an addiction because a savage can be whatever you desire with little effort and with some cash it can change over and over again.
By the way welcome to the forum you came to the right place for very little BS and tons of info.

Khorban
10-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Savage's part finder doesn't seem to have a general spec section (but good to know I can get a new adjuster for the accutrigger for $2 when I lose the little bugger that came with it).

Found the FAQ you mentioned -- yep, NS = no sights. I'll give the cleaning rod trick a shot. Another good excuse to head to the range.

ellobo
10-15-2011, 10:32 PM
If it was really made in 2006 then you have the 9.5 twist and are stuck with accuracy with lighter wgt bullets. They did change to a faster twist but I am sure it was after 2006.

El Lobo

Khorban
10-15-2011, 11:13 PM
El Lobo - I read that they changed to 1 in 11" (or 1 in 11.5" or something like that), but wouldn't 1 in 9.5" be the faster twist?

I believe for 7mm-08, the 9.5 twist is better for higher grain cartridges, but maybe I have that backwards? I was hoping I had the 9.5, but didn't realize I should have checked until after I purchased the rifle.

Or maybe we're on the same page and I misunderstood what you meant.

ellobo
10-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Your right, the old twist was the 11, the new one is the 9.5. How I got that screwed up can be chalked up to old age and memory loss and arrogance about my ability to know everything about everything.

El Lobo