PDA

View Full Version : Center or Stagger Feed?

cajun
10-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Is it possible to tell from serial number whether a Savage 16FSS has a center feed or stagger feed magazine? The serial number in question is G640385.

Thanks,

John

rjtfroggy
10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Two ways to tell, take the action out of the stock if the mag stays with the action it is stagger feed, if it stays in the stock it is centerfeed.
If it it a short action measure the screw spacing 4.27 is the older and should be stagger, 4.40 is newer and should be center.

cajun
10-14-2011, 09:54 AM
My problem is that I don't have easy access to the gun. Is there any way to tell from the serial?

Thanks,

John

jonbearman
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
You would have to call savage tech imfo. Or have the person set a cartridge in the mag and if it stays in the center when in the mag and the next does the same thing ,it is centerfeed.Have him do it in the outside of his house in a safe direction in case he does something foolish and chambers and fies the gun.Just be careful.

squirrelsniper
10-14-2011, 10:12 AM
There's no way to tell for sure, but I would think it's likely to be a center feed. Unless of course it's 223 or 204. I have a rifle thats G63XXXX that's center feed. Can't tell for sure without checking it though.

cajun
10-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I went to the Savage parts finder and entered the serial number. It shows a sketch of the rifle and the mag has a mag retaining clip. I would imagine that this would keep the magazine in the stock. So this would be center feed?

Thanks,

John

bootsmcguire
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
yes, but the Savage parts finder has been wrong before.

wch
10-15-2011, 07:42 AM
SO if I want to change from center to stagger feed, what part number(s) do I need to order (short action)?

rjtfroggy
10-15-2011, 03:11 PM
The centerfeed action does not have the groves in it to hold the stagger feed magazine in place,so you would have to get the mag to fit in the stock in just the right position to function properly.Not impossible but not all that easy either.
There is nothing wrong with the centerfeed mags IMO I would leave well enough alone and just shoot it.