PDA

View Full Version : Savage Striker in 338 Edge

358Hammer
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Its been a couple months coming but it is here. Not sure how many handguns are out there in the 338 X 300 RUM (338 Edge)but I have mine now. This project actually started some time ago when the muscle brake was tested on the 338 X 300WSM and then the 338 Win Mag. Finding them pleasant to shoot after making some minor adjustments I took the plunge.
I purchased a Striker from afar and had it delivered to Jim at centershotrifles.com. The same day I called Ron at Benchmark barrels and ordered the lightest large shank 3 groove, 19 inch barrel he could safely make.
Specs:
Savage Striker factory stock and action
19" 3 groove Benchmark barrel
Barrel chambered and installed along with specially modified Muscle brake in 338 Edge by Jim!
Paint by centershot rifles .com
Back from the factory Burris 3X12 BP scope

I and Lisa are up to it in a huge remodel at the facility. I took a break and was camped at the range at daylight and what is pictured are 3 shot groups only and the first and only 12 bullets down the barrel. The velocity I will not publish at this time because I think they were too high. I will take the other chrony out Friday weather permitting and double check the results. I need to do a trigger job on this beast as the trigger has got to be 7 or 8 pounds. If the PACT registers anywhere near what I got today then I will be one extremely happy guy. I can say that with 93 grains of H4831 which is a top load in the 338 Rum I am at 338 Win Mag rifle velocites with lots of room for more powder.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/338Edge.jpg

Video to follow as Lisa won't have time for several days to get it done. The muscle brake was absolutely amazing! Very pleasant handgun to shoot with no muzzle rise so to speak.
Top to bottom targets. 1: 93grs H4831 (was used in all data with all bullet) 200 grain Accubond
2. 225 grain Accubond
3. 210gr Partition
4. 225 gr Barnes MRX

The white dot is 1"

I am not sure if Jim has published the following data before me or not. His wife is an audiologist and has some very expensive sound measuring equipment. Jim used the 260 Remington rifle as a base test, minus a brake and measured the decibel sound to the shooter at 119. He then took his 7 RUM with muscle brake which holds twice the powder of the 260 Rem and registered a 121. decibel to the shooter reading.

Neal

LG
11-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Sweet!!!!

dcloco
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Do you find that you have to use a medium/slow powder like H4831 instead of Retumbo or H1000 for the 338 because of the short barrels?

Interesting project. Nice!

nrar15
11-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Neal can't wait to see the video. Way too cool.
Bob

358Hammer
11-11-2009, 11:20 PM
dc

I planned the project from the research stage based upon H4350 and H4831. Like some of my other projects if one uses a smaller case capacity then one can use a faster burning powder. My 338 X 378 Weatherby has to have massive amounts of slow burning powder to fill the case. The Edge beats the 338 X378 in velocity Because of the faster burning powder! . I suspect the Edge is beating the 338 Lapua as long as they use 869,Retumbo and H1000. There is a 20mm Vulcan powder (re-claimed) I think is 872 that they are using on a 338 X378 improved that requires a massive amount of powder to fill the case and a 34" rifle barrel! Nice velocity!
I also am a hunter first and will not use a larger bullet than the 225 Grain Accubond. SO I won't need a larger bullet with the greater BC as I will not be shooting past 600 yards.

Seriously this gun has less muzzle rise than any of the other center grips.
It is so cool to fire something this powerful and not get hurt or have to put on gloves to help with the pain. It is pure pleasure to just.

Neal