PDA

View Full Version : Forum rookie checking in with 10FCP HS

jetcycles
10-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Just thought I would stop in and introduce myself before I start posting on threads around here. I stumbled across this forum while researching bases & rings for my new 10FCP-HS (and I still haven't decided on a base nor rings yet!). I've been a proud owner of a 93R17-FV (currently wearing a Tasco Golden Antler 3X9 and cheap rings but waiting for new rings to mount a Mueller APT) for a few years now and I'm still impressed by it's accuracy and reliable performance. My desire to shoot longer ranges (400-600yds) let me to researching .308's and that research ultimately lead me to the 10FCP-HS. I believe the rifle will be a great platform to learn on and is upgradeable if I ever feel the need to swap parts as my skill set improves. I'll be browsing the forums in an attempt to decide on a 20MOA base and a sturdy set of rings to mount a Nikon Monarch 4-16x50SF that my awesome little brother gave me as a wedding gift. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post up! Thanks for having me and allowing me to ramble on in my first post, I look forward to hanging around the community for quite a while and reading all there is to know about the brotherhood of the barrel nut! ;D

ellobo
10-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Welcome. Keep on reading and soon you will be a Savage guru. Welcome to the brotherhood.

El Lobo

GaCop
10-13-2011, 07:32 AM
You shouldn't need a 20 MOA base to shoot the ranges you mentioned. If you decide you want to shoot the 308 at 1000 yards, yes, the 20 MOA base helps tremendously. For rings, you can't beat the Burris Signature Zee rings. Welcome to the forums. Do your first barrel change and you will be forever hooked.

jonbearman
10-13-2011, 02:52 PM
To be honest about barrel changes ,it is so easy a caveman can do it with just a few tools invested in.There is a tutorial right on this site on how to do it.Ibelieve if you research the help articles or someone will chime in. You will need a barrel wrench and barrel vise or reciever wrench. Also a headspace gage which are cheap. I can change a barrel in about 10 minutes.A year ago I struggled alittle,now it is old hat.