PDA

View Full Version : Replacing entire bolt

bsekf
10-11-2011, 08:23 AM
I keep thinking I need a 223. I have a LA Stevens, stagger feed, round back, 260AI. Can I replace the entire bolt rather than just the bolt head? If possible, what is the approximate cost and where do I get one? How much will changing the entire bolt effect the SSS trigger adjustment?

Bill "leaping over dollar bills to save small change"

82boy
10-11-2011, 10:24 AM
How much will changing the entire bolt effect the SSS trigger adjustment?

Can you clarify this question, are you talking about an action that was sent off to SSS for a time and true job, or just a factory action (No work done.) with a SSS trigger installed?

I dont understand why people would want to wrap up money into a second bolt, when changing bolt heads is so simple. I can change a bolt head quicker than I can change a barrel. I consider it part of the barrel change process, heck, it takes soomething like 2 minutes on a slow day to change one. When you deal with buying bolts you also gamble with the bolt actuly fitting the action, for me it's just a unneassary evil.

seanhagerty
10-11-2011, 10:31 AM
The answer is yes, you can get a complete new bolt. Midwayusa has them in the $100 dollar range.

I was going to go the bolt head change route, but ran into issues with the new bolt head not being a drop in fit for my existing bolt body (Different firing pin size, indexing groove that needed dremeled out). I finally gave up and just bought a complete bolt. I am happy and it works fine.

Sean

82boy
10-11-2011, 11:41 AM
long action bolt heads for a .223 are now custom made. factory has not made then in 10 years.

the bolt body is part of the time and true. a new bolt will effect the work done.

Good point.
As mentioned LA 223 bolt heads are a custom built thing from SSS. You could look for an old one but they are very rare, you would have a easier time finding a needle in a hay stack. It would also be a single shot, unless you are creative, and you can fit a short action box into a long action.

bsekf
10-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I realize changing the entire bolt would negate a time and true. I am talking about a SSS Competition trigger that I installed.

It appears what I have heard is true. Very hard to find a 223 bolt head for a long action that is a "drop in".

Bill

82boy
10-11-2011, 07:17 PM
I realize changing the entire bolt would negate a time and true. I am talking about a SSS Competition trigger that I installed.
It appears what I have heard is true. Very hard to find a 223 bolt head for a long action that is a "drop in".
Bill

If it is a factory action (Not T&Ted) then there would be no affect from changing bolts.

82boy
10-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Bill

If it is a factory action (Not T&Ted) then there would be no affect from changing bolts.
yes there would, the ramp cut in the bolt can very some. it may or may not be noticeably better or worse.

Well that would be true if the guns was somewhat in time to start with. I garentee that it is out of time, and changing the bolt body could not do any harm to what already exist, as you have noted it could actualy improve things.