PDA

View Full Version : Decoys?

Kaianuanu
10-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I hope i'll get to spend a week or 2 in Oklahoma over my winter break which will be around christmas. I was looking at some designs and i was wondering if you guys thought it would be worth it to spend a little money on building a motorized decoy or to just stick to our traditional feather on an arrow in the ground?

shovelheadave
10-10-2011, 10:01 PM
I built a jumping jack out of one of those Weasel Balls from Five Below last year........local fox showed no interest in it and the motor was a bit loud.

A friend uses a Mojo Critter and swears by it, just be careful with the plastic stake if you on frozen ground.

roadkill46
10-10-2011, 10:27 PM
mojo critter mounted on a low profile camera tripod. trust someone who knows and has been through 3 of them, the spike will break the plastic sooner or later, better to buy a walmart 10 buck camera tripod, take off the panning arm and screw the decoy on. same threads. i have also tried the extended all thread sharpened on one end, same as the stock one. since i have been using the tripod the last 2 years i have had no issues with tipping over or anything, and i got 59 dogs last year. don't believe me...i have pics of each and witnesses. and enough bobcat and fox pelts in the skinning addition of my garage to pay for the last 2 Arizona winter hunting trips after the fur sale in Globe.

Kaianuanu
10-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Dont those mimic birds? If so, what type of calls do you use with them? Also, i dont want to spend that much money on this.

roadkill46
10-12-2011, 09:44 AM
the critter is a weird mammal imitator, straight tube body with fur around it and then a floppy spring on the top that is screwed in by a thumb screw. at the end of the spring there is more fur so that when it rotates randomly the fur at the top spins erratically. they do make the Mojo Woodpecker which is a bird on a stick that the wings rotate and you can remove a wing to make it look injured and also suspend it from a tree. the critter runs about $40 bux and a tripod is 9.99 at wallyworld. definitely look into it, set it about 30 yards out from your stand so the pred is fixated on the decoy and not you. works great with a remote foxpro i have the FX5, but will work with handcalls as the dog has now turned it's attention to the decoy and not where the sound is coming from hopefully. buy it once, do the mod and it should last you forever, runs on 4 AAs.

shovelheadave
10-14-2011, 07:14 PM
mojo critter mounted on a low profile camera tripod.

Good tip, I'm going to give it a try, thanks. I ordered a critter today.

scott597
10-15-2011, 08:19 AM
I use the mojo critter as well. It really does catch their attention and keeps it off of you! i hunt over alot of cut corn feilds and just stick the spike in a corn stalk stump. worth the $40.

shovelheadave
10-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Made a new spike but, as a "T". This way you're pushing it in with the T rather than with the unit itself. Hopefully a quick and easy solution.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/Shovelheadave/Album%202/DSCN4918.jpg

5spd
10-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Made a new spike but, as a "T". This way you're pushing it in with the T rather than with the unit itself. Hopefully a quick and easy solution.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/Shovelheadave/Album%202/DSCN4918.jpg

^^^^^I made 4 of these for me & pals out here, winter ground is solid frozen and they go in nice without busting. You will bust the bottom of the mojo if you try it using the body.