PDA

View Full Version : SSS Muzzle Brake

psharon97
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Has anyone tried one of SSS Muzzle brakes. I was wondering how effective they are. I am going to be building a 7mm Remington Magnum and was debating on using a muzzle brake at all. I want to go through SSS for convenience sake. Get everything from on place.

The rifle will mostly be used for long distance (1000 meters) target shooting, and some long distance shooting. So what do you guys think of the SSS Muzzle brake?

82boy
10-10-2011, 01:20 PM
To start, I would say the finish on them is better than anyone Else's I have ever seen. They blend the break in so well, it is super hard to tell where the break ends, It looks as if the barrel and break are one piece. Fred is a Scientist of sorts, he built a rig that can measure the amount of recoil a rifle produces, and he has experimented with several designs, until he found a break that was the most efficient, and reduced recoil the most. He placed many hours of research, and experimatition into his breaks. Fred still does test with other makers of breaks testing them on his fixture, so far only a few work as well as his does, and they are usually a similar design. I am sure if Fred found a break that worked better he would figgure out why, and how to adapt that to his breaks, so far his design has remained the same for a few years. I have been to a few long range benchrest matchs, and since IBS has aloud breaks on heavy guns many are now using breaks, and 9 times out of 10 everyone is using a break similar to what SSS makes, I think that say something about what works.

psharon97
10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks 82boy. Do you have a SSS break installed on any of your rifles?

82boy
10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks 82boy. Do you have a SSS break installed on any of your rifles?

Over the years I have, I had one on a AR15 that was sweet. 95% of the shooting I do is competition and most of my guns are built for that. In short range BR they are not aloud, in long range benchrest up utill this year they was forbidden in heavy gun, and since I shoot my gun in both classes, I could not have one. Now that things have cheanged it is a different story, right now I have a barrel there waiting for a break to be installed, and after it is done it is likly I will have another barrel there witing for one.

placek59
10-10-2011, 04:36 PM
I have one of his brakes on a 22br (shooting 75g amax's) and it reduces recoil to almost nothing. Probably less than a savage 40 .22 hornet. I know that the 22br is not a heavy recoiling round to start with, but the brake was on it when I bought the barrel so I stuck with it.

studentX
10-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I had this done on my 300WM a couple years ago, still love it, still looks great. As for how much recoil reduction...hard to say, but I take this Rig prairie dog shooting and shoot all day and not sore. 210gr Burger VLD's with 71.2gr H4831SC running about 2900FPS

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/studentX/300workdone00002.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/studentX/300workdone00004.jpg

jwpark
10-13-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't like the style of brakes SSS makes. When I shot prone (most common position for me), it kicks up a lot of dust (living in Los Angeles).

I went with an RWS (snipershide user) made brake, which has the side and top ports. Jim at CenterShot rifles installed it on my CBI barrel. Very clean job. I can't tell where the 2 meet. Really like it and its a little cheaper too.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/rem40xb1/holland.jpg

logic factory
10-13-2011, 10:30 PM
does anyone want to offer their opinion or best their experience with a unsymmetrical ported brake? i have seen the thread on the hide and know many people keep going back to rws for more but this does not tell me how valid of a concern having an unsymmetrical brake is.

jwpark
10-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't think there's any real concerns with an asymmetrical brake. If there were, the military and law enforcement wouldn't use them.

I've used asymmetrical brakes in all my guns, no problems from what I can tell.

tiny68
10-14-2011, 11:23 PM
I shot a club BR match once and the guy next to me had one of a brake of similar style to one in the picture on a damn 300 Ultra mag. After the first round I asked the match director to move me. The blow back to the side was terrible. Out in the field, brakes are wonderful things. At BR matches, they don't make friends. My first 30BR barrel originally had one and I cut it off and had the barrel shorten after the first match. It was SSS brake installed by Fred. It was a seamless interface. The gunsmith was convinced it was a one-piece with the barrel.

does anyone want to offer their opinion or best their experience with a unsymmetrical ported brake? i have seen the thread on the hide and know many people keep going back to rws for more but this does not tell me how valid of a concern having an unsymmetrical brake is.