PDA

View Full Version : Sticking rounds

Johnc1
10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I have a Savage Mo 12 F/TR 308 after things start to heat up the round are tight. Using RCBS X dies. Win brass trimmed to 2.010. Brass is clean and chamber is clean. No signs of over pressure. Load 44.2 varget . Bolt rotate free but take a rap of the hand for the bolt to come back.

earl39
10-09-2011, 09:02 PM
First question is what bullet are you using. It sounds like a pressure problem. Varget has a habit of having pressure changes between lots. Have you opened a new can lately without rechecking your load? I would back off .5grn and see if the problem goes away. If it does you will know that lot is a little hotter than the one you worked the load up with.

darkker
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
A few things spring to mind.
Brass trimmed to 2.010" is almost at max length anyway, AND you are full length sizing... check your length of fired casings.
Also what bullet?? Unless you are shooting a 150, 44 is too much Varget for anything. As stated, IF it was a safe load previously; obviously not now. Varget has HORRIBLE lot to lot consistency.

Johnc1
10-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the input. The load is with 175 mk. I will try and back off a little from the 44g. Hope to get to the range next week.

darkker
10-11-2011, 04:56 PM
According to Sierra's manual:

Sierra used a 12VSS in their load development.
175 SMK at a COAL of 2.800"
MAX load of Varget is 41.7 grains.
Trim to length: 2.005"

Now with Savages long throats, you MIGHT be able to bump that up a bit, but....
44 is TOO MUCH!

bootsmcguire
10-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Do a little research, my Lee book is showing a max load of 45.0gr of Varget with a 175, Same info that Hodgdon has on their website.

The info below is copied directly from Hodgdon's Website:

Cartridge: 308 Winchester
Load Type: Rifle
Starting Loads Maximum Loads

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
175 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon Varget .308" 2.800" 42.0 2583 42,600 CUP 45.0C 2690 48,600 CUP

Not trying to start a disagreement or anything, I just thought that 44.0 you stated sounded to be in the proper window, and I figured I would just see what the Manufacturer showed.

It still is a good idea to back off and work back up just in case.

Hope some of that helps.

racinready300ex
10-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Do a little research, my Lee book is showing a max load of 45.0gr of Varget with a 175, Same info that Hodgdon has on their website.

I'm pretty sure my hornady book is a couple of grains under 45. Things to keep in mind different brass will change pressure, seating depth (too much jump or jam) will cause preasure to increase, temp can increase pressure(letting round sit in hot chamber). Also varget isn't very consistant from lot to lot. Probably the reason some books are more conservative than others.

Handloader
10-12-2011, 02:13 PM
I ran into the same situation with RL22. I was shooting hot loads to begin with, cold/cool chamber extractions were easy and smooth. If I started to shoot faster, and the action got hot, Sticky extractions! I think the chamber heat was causing a drastic change in the initial reaction temperature of the powder...i.e. faster velocities and increased pressure in the case.
I would back of the charge and/or switch to a powder that is less temperature sensitive.
See this article and srcoll down to read about Varget pressure with respect to Barrel temperature: http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/Pressure%20Factors.pdf
(Take home message....."The effect of barrel temperature is around 204 PSI per degree F for the Varget load.")

darkker
10-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Boots,
No offense taken at all!

Does Hodgdon list a 175gr bullet, or the SMK? That is why I showed Sierra's data. I like Lee's info to, but it is a fair amount old now. Powder resellers like Hodgdon, are a little more subject to blending changes/burn-rate fluctuations; especially when supplies get tight.
Remember that Hodgdon does not manufacture their smokeless powders. Not sure who actually makes Varget, but given their relationships; I'd imagine that it is an ADI powder.

bootsmcguire
10-12-2011, 09:25 PM
As my above post says, (and I double checked Hodgdon site one more time) it is listed as a 175gr Sierra HPBT which I am going to say is the Matchking since it is the only 30cal 175gr HPBT that is in Sierra's offerings that I am aware of.

Either way, safer is better. Never hurts to back off and start with the data that Darkker shows us and work up.