PDA

View Full Version : Savage actions and bolt head swapping

romulus
10-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Is there a sticky that details which actions and bolt heads work together? I've seen one instance where a magnum bolt head did not work with another magnum action, but the details were unclear (to me).

I've read a bit about the magnum bolt face and its different ejector. Can this bolt face be put in any of the actions? Essentially, can I put a magnum bolt face in a Savage 10 like my 10 FCP HS? I like the matte black finish.

This leads into another question. Is there somewhere I can find all the port lengths for various actions if they are not the same for all short actions or all long actions?

If there are any exceptions to bolt head swapping I'd love to know before I start tracking down parts for a 7SAUM, 6XC, or maybe a 338 WSM if I'm brave.

I'd like a usable live round extraction port and some kind of repeater, preferably a DBM.

Thanks guys.

esorensen
10-19-2011, 06:16 PM
I'd like to see a sticky, too with info regarding bolt head compatibility. I'm in the same boat as the OP.

geargrinder
10-19-2011, 09:22 PM
As far as bolt heads and actions go. Longs work in longs. Shorts work in shorts.

In a long action, all the long bolt heads will swap interchangeably.

In a short action the 223 and 308 sized bolt heads will swap, but the magnum needs a different firing pin.

Not all magnums have a standing ejector(CRF). These were only found mostly on the RUM and WSM's. All the other magnums used push feed magnum bolt heads. CRF actions can use regular push feed bolt heads if the standing ejector is removed. A CRF bolt head can be used in a push feed action, but there will be no ejection.

My favorite action is a long action center feed with factory DBM. I usually use it as a 308, 7mm-08, 7mmWSM, or a 300wsm. My next favorite is a long action stagger feed. It has seen duty as a 223 and a 338 Edge, and may chamberings in between.

seanhagerty
10-19-2011, 09:29 PM
As far as bolt heads and actions go. Longs work in longs. Shorts work in shorts.

In a long action, all the long bolt heads will swap interchangeably.

This isnt 100% true. I was trying to swap my 112bvss 223 bolt head for a 30-06/308 bolt head. There were at least two differences that caused me to give up the bolt head swap and go with a complete bolt. (Index groove, and firing pin diameter.)