PDA

View Full Version : f-class matches over for the year rethinking bullet weight

lal357
10-09-2011, 10:19 AM
rifle matches are over for the year and i have been thinking about uping my bullet weight for my 308 i shoot at a distance of 300yds but next year looking to start 500yds matches . i currently load 168gr amx over 44.0gr varget or 42.5gr rl15 for the same bullet.not looking to change powders or bullets type(they fit my buget better) just weight thinking 178 to 210 what weight would ya'll got to i also have some 155gr but havent really played with them much .

memilanuk
10-09-2011, 11:02 AM
For 500-600yds, there's no real need to change what you have right now. If its shooting tight, and you are happy with the results, stick with it.

Pretty much anything from the 155s to the 185s should work no problem - just at that distance, there isn't really any overwhelming benefit one way or another beyond what shoots best from your gun. The heavier stuff (200+ gn) starts getting into somewhat more specialized loading technique, and more recoil for minimal benefit @ mid-range.

Personally I like the B155.5BT... shoots very well and is pretty easy to work up a good load with.

squirrelsniper
10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
At 500yds, as long as what you already have shoots well, I'd just stick with it. It takes at least 600yds before the 168s start becoming a poor choice, and even they will do decent to about 800yds.

I'm not much of a fan of the "standard" 155s from Sierra/Nosler/Hornady. Unless you have a pretty long barrel to get the velocity up, they just don't gain you anything. The 155gr VLDs from Berger or Lapua Scenars are a pretty good choice for many applications, but since you don't want to start buying more expensive bullets, they're out of the picture.

If you "just want to try something different," I'd recommend trying something in the 175-178gr range, but I wouldn't expect any revelations unless your rifle just happens to like a certain bullet better.

FWIW, my 308 long range load is a 175gr SMK over 44.0gr Varget in Lapua brass with BR-2 primer. An alternate load for shorter range (out to about 600yds) is a 168gr SMK over 44.5gr Varget in Lapua brass with BR-2 primer.

memilanuk
10-12-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm not much of a fan of the "standard" 155s from Sierra/Nosler/Hornady. Unless you have a pretty long barrel to get the velocity up, they just don't gain you anything. The 155gr VLDs from Berger or Lapua Scenars are a pretty good choice for many applications, but since you don't want to start buying more expensive bullets, they're out of the picture.

Sounds like you're a generation or two behind on the 155s... the Berger 155 VLDs and Lapua 154gn Scenars are still good bullets, but Berger now makes a 155.5gn BT 'Fullbore' and Sierra has a new 155gn Palma (model # 2156, vs. the older 2155), both of which shoot inside the older bullets by a bit. Yes, the Bergers are spendy but they are *very* good bullets. The Sierra 2156 Palma 155s are somewhat less expensive, and come pointed from the factory. You still need some barrel length to get the most benefit out of them... but if you can get 'em going 2850-2900 (definitely doable even from shorter factory tubes) they may surprise you...

lal357
10-13-2011, 06:56 AM
for me its not that they are pricey but i try to go shot every other weekend and when i do i shoot 50-308 and 50-223's and when you figure 50 amax bullets a piece ,br primers ,powder the cost runs up quick so to keep it down i settled on amax . i try to buy the heads when midway has them on sale other wise i'm stuck with 30.00 and 25.00 a box .it also doesnt help that i have a pistol habit also lol.

rjtfroggy
10-13-2011, 07:31 AM
http://www.natchezss.com/

Lal look here for your bullets almost always cheaper than Midway and never that sneaky $3 handling charge on top of shipping.

lal357
10-13-2011, 01:05 PM
I would love to buy there but they won't ship to Alabama.

Grit #1
10-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I am running 49.0 grains of AA4350, Fed match primer, Lapua brass, 190 MK velocity 2650 22fps extreme spread.
I like the 190 because it out performs the lighter bullets when the conditions suck.
Best regards,
Grit
The next question will be. How do you get the bullet in because 49 grains of said powder fills the case to the top?

lal357
10-15-2011, 03:43 PM
let me take a guess at it long tube to swirl the powder into the shell or wooden dowel

Grit #1
10-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Nope, but the wooden dowel is close. I read an article in one of the precision shooting pubs were the writer was talking about compression dies that are used on some factory loads. I hated using the bullet to compress the load because of the ring that the seating die puts into the bullet at the ogive. So I got the idea to build my own compression die out of an old 357mag decapping die. It is installed in station 3 of one of my Dillon 550s and the seating die is moved to station 4. Takes a little getting use to but works like a charm. I have now built 4 compression dies in different calibers. I am supprised that one of the die mfgs haven't made them yet.

memilanuk
10-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Generally I try to stay away from loads that are *that* compressed... but another trick that works is to load up a whole tray full of charged cases, with the bullets just setting in the case mouths. Assuming you have a vibratory case tumbler, fire it up - preferably loaded w/ media, etc. to damp things down a big so its not so violent. Gently hold the loading tray against the side of the tumbler drum for a short while - you may have to experiment a bit to see how much effect it gives you. Seemed to work pretty well for me... but ultimately I opted for either slightly denser powders that don't need that level of packing, or longer throats that allow me to seat the bullet out a little further.

Grit #1
10-15-2011, 08:39 PM
The 190 is not that compressed, custom chamber. The bullet only goes in as far as the neck and I still have some jump to the rifling. The 77 grain MK in the 5.56, to feed out of the mag. or a Kreiger .223 chamber, is a different story. To get 25gr of 4895 Russian in the case and the bullet, with out deforming it, takes an lot of compression. But is works and the extreme spreads are low. I built the compression dies for speed, consistency, and accuracy. All the extra steps to long drop, vibrate, tamp down and what ever are just un-necessary (for me).
Best regards,
Grit