PDA

View Full Version : 110fp bolt body cracked

Pages : 1 [2]

ontri
10-15-2011, 11:27 PM
thanks for all the input, didnt mean to start a war over headspace, I will be giving fred a call monday for that new bolt body thanks guys.

squirrelsniper
10-16-2011, 04:14 AM
Although this thread has turned into a seemingly complex problem, this is typically a very simple procedure.

#1 - Order new bolt body. If there is anything else you think you may need, order it too.
#2 - Compare length measurement of new bolt body to old bolt body. Unless the rifle is of pretty old production, I'm guessing they'll be pretty close.
#3 - Install your bolt head and other parts into new bolt body.
#4 - Use a black permanent marker to blacken back of bolt lugs. Insert bolt into rifle, lock the bolt down then lift it up just about halfway and close it back down a few times. The lugs should come out with clear marks of making contact and rubbing on the engagement surface. If not, the bolt body is too long and then more work will be necessary. I'd bet that it works fine.
#5 - A second headspace check is to take one of your old fired cases that came from this same rifle and insert into the chamber, then close the bolt. If the fired case works fine, then your headspace has not been shortened.
#6 - If you have the equipment to check firing pin protrusion, do so. If not, it probably hasn't been changed enough to matter anyway. If you are a reloader, you may even simply prime a case but not load it, then test fire the primed-only case. If it pops but it doesn't make an exceesively deep mark, continue.
#7 - Do a full trigger and safety test before ever going near loaded ammo.
#8 - If all goes well, and it likely will, go shoot.