PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean up you Axis trigger EVEN MORE!

Kaianuanu
10-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I know most of you axis/edge shooters are familiar with the trigger mod posted originally by DMPOWDER on predatormasters.com. And most of us have done a variant of this to lighten up our triggers including me. But today, i was handling my axis w/ the bolt out and i noticed that there was alot of side to side play and wiggle with the trigger. So, what i did was take out the pin that the trigger pivots around and i put a tiny stainless steel washer on one side of the trigger. And, when i put my gun back together, the wiggle was greatly reduced, and when i dryfired it, I realized that it did make the break of the trigger noticeably cleaner.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u323/kaianuanu/IMAG13101.jpg

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u323/kaianuanu/IMAG13111.jpg

EDIT: If anyone tries this, please post your experience and share your results, we'd all like to hear about it!

dolomite_supafly
10-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I shim all of the 10/22 triggers I do. It is hard to get a nice precise trigger when there is a lot of slope. The side to side movement, regardless of platform, prevents you from getting closer tolerances.

Dolomite

thomae
10-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Kaianuanu:
Thank you for sharing with the rest of us. I am sure there are some readers who have done this, and others (myself included) who think, "Of course! That's so obvious!" and then wonder, "Why didn't I think of that?"

I have shimmed other triggers as well, notably my 10/22, but had not shimmed my Axis.

You, on the other hand saw a way to improve, actually did it, and then took the time to share your success! ;D

Congratulations, and thank you again for sharing so that the rest of us can learn.

All the best to you and yours.

Kaianuanu
10-08-2011, 07:59 PM
so shimming is it called? I didn't know it was a commonly done practice but as you said . . . I saw possibility for improvement, and took advantage of it.

Kaianuanu
10-09-2011, 11:27 AM
NOTE: I think the pin is an irregular diameter. So, i had to drill out the center of the washer ever so slightly so it would fit over the pin. However, this might be because i had the wrong size laying around.

RWCshooter
10-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I performed this procedure over the weekend on my Axis 223 and I'm hoping to take it out tonight and try it. I will tell you that there was a markedly different feel to the trigger. I had previously worked on the spring and felt a difference on the trigger. Still have to measure it properly, but it does feel like half or close to it. By shimming it though, I did feel the trigger move and break cleaner. What I did not notice before, was the tiny bit of side to side movement of the trigger. The shimming has completely eliminated that movement, making the trigger feel and operate much better. We'll see if it tightens up the groups any, keep you posted.

BTW, Kaianuanu, you stay in da Islands Brah, or wat? Much Aloha if you do...

Happy Hunting...

seanmurphy265
12-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Man!!! I just worked worked on my trigger; trimmed the spring and shimmed the trigger. Shimming the trigger gives it a total different feel. I would highly recommend doing this mod! I did this on my 30-06 Savage Axis.

rooster57
01-31-2012, 12:28 AM
I also have done work on my Axix trigger....tomorow I'll add this little trick as well.

Thanks for sharing!!

GeorgeS
02-03-2012, 05:22 PM
I do not own an Axis yet, since Savage only announced availability of left-hand models recently.

Since I want to build a .300 Blackout on the Axis, can you tell me what size washer (OD) you started with?

Thanks,
George
P.S. some of the posters mentioned shimming their 10/22s; what size washer for that mod? Thanks again.

Kaianuanu
02-10-2012, 06:30 PM
The OD of the washer doesnt really matter, just take your trigger pin to the hardware store and get a washer that is a nice fit and is very thin.

Sinman1228
05-27-2012, 01:22 PM
U could also use a feeler gauge. Cut off the tip between 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Drill a small hole big enough for ur pin to fit through. Size of feeler gauge can be .016-.018 inch. That should take all the side to side wiggle out of the trigger.

Gmac5
05-27-2012, 04:22 PM
For a better trig pull.cot,grind rear of trig .remove connical trigger spring ,cut or grind to half existing ,reinstallconnical spring dam it i wish i could post picts ,any way this way u still can adjust spring pressure ,there is no spring replacement or modifying
I have tried many ways and considering ive got many take offs ,have tried all,this way ,altho harder,works best ,at least for me
Gary