PDA

View Full Version : 338win-inaccurate-HELP!

Bordo380
10-07-2011, 10:16 AM
I am new here guys and looking for answers and any advice to make my rig group better than the
4"-5"avg I am producing at this time.

Gun: 116 Bear Hunter, 23" fluted SS barrel with Brake.
Cal: 338win mag
Scope: 4-20x50 Weaver Blackhawk Tactical w/ Burris X-treme rings on the Blackhawk Picatinny rail.
Ammo: 225gr Nosler A-bond, Winchester

The scope was installed at Cabelas, and I have never let anyone before install it so I trusted them. I have not checked the torque specs on the rail,rings, or base, but they seem very tight.

I have the Accutrigger as light as it will go, and I have read if I install the stock wrong it could affect the accuracy.

Do these new rifles need a break in? I have shot a box through it now and nothing has changed.

This is my first Savage, all I know are Rem 700's. I reload for my 300Rum in a 700P and get sub MOA groups. I have a nice rest and rear bag to take me out of the equation.

Thank so much in advance!!!
Bordo

racinready300ex
10-07-2011, 12:16 PM
4-5" is alot. I assume your talking about at 100 yards. My 1st though would be the scope isn't holding zero. And try another scope from a gun I know is working well.

ellobo
10-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Ditto on raceinready. Most problems you are seeing is scope related. Either the scope or mounts. Definately try another scope.

El Lobo

wbm
10-07-2011, 05:39 PM
The scope you are using on the 300RUM and getting good groups...put it on the Savage. OR put the Weaver Tactical on the 300RUM and see if it still shoots right.

handirifle
10-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I agree with all the above, but I would surely check the bases, WITH THE SCOPE REMOVED FROM THE RINGS. I have seen too many things overlooked by others (myself included) to assume they have it right. SOMETHING is wrong, either the scope is moving in the rings, or the bases are moving, or the scope is bad.

Should we ASSUME you're not flinching, as well? I have a 338 WM, but have as yet to fire it. I do hear the recoil is pretty fearsome. I realize the 300 RUM is no lightweight either, which is why I hesitate to ask, but just trying to eliminate all possibilities.

Bordo380
10-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I finally got it shooting after cleaning it and shooting a couple rounds to clear the solvent, I decided to switch out the scopes and try the MarkV. I re-torqued the rings on the Weaver and the needed a few inch-lbs. After removing, I checked the base and all 4 were almost a full turn from 25in/lbs. I'm not sure what Cabelas torqued them too, but I do know they didn't use any lock-tight. After doing so I decided to try again before removing the MarkV. I reinstalled the weaver and it immediately started grouping. I'm so glad! I guess Cabelas owes me a box of shells or 2! I will go back and put a small drop of thread locker 222 when I get a chance.

I was at a loss as to how to torque the rings to the base. I couldn't find a torque wrench that accepts a socket that will bellow 50 in/lbs.

Just to note. The Hornady shot under and inch and the Fusion brand was over and inch.
This gun does kick, but not like the RUM. Both have a brake and that saves my shoulder.

Thanks for the help guys.

rezmedic541
06-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Mine shoots 225 gr Hornady Superperformance makes cloverleafs at 100yds. all day long. Just started to load up some 300 gr. Lapua's and some 300 gr. Hybrid Bergers. As soon as they lift the fire danger stop will go out and see how they do.. Love that gun it makes my th Savage.