PDA

View Full Version : 308 FP-10 or build on a Stevens 200?

MikeSSS
11-11-2009, 02:45 AM
A Stevens costs $309 delivered from Bud's, say $350 after FFL guy. Add a SSS trigger for $100, Shilen barrel for about $350 and a takeoff stock for $35. This comes out around $835 (sure it will be more than that).

An FP-10 is $680 at Bud's, say $730 after the FFL, plus $100 for an SSS trigger so the cost is about $830, roughly the same for either option.

Both rifles would need a flat ground recoil lug and both would probably benefit from a Duramaxx stock but it's only made for 4.25" spacing.

Considerations: 4.25" action screw spacing has more available stocks, don't know the spacing on the new Stevens 200's or FP-10's. Anybody know? Also the new Stevens 200's are center feed. Don't know about the new FP-10's, anybody know about those? This rifle will be mostly for shooting off the bench with cast bullets but the magazine will probably be used if the rifle goes hunting.

What say you? I'm thinking a Shilen barrel is better than most Savage barrels.

Another question, is the 4.40 action screw spacing only on the AccuStock guns?

fatdaddy
11-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey Mike,
Yes all the new Stevens are now 4.4 action screw spacing. Just like the savage. They are also all center feed. You can get a Bell and Carlson and a few other stocks for the new spacing. As far as the Shilen,I would agree but thats really a Ford-Chevy deal. Iv got a shilen thats great, own 2 mcgowans that are hummers too. Bill

MikeSSS
11-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks Bill,

I should have said McGowan or Shilen or Douglas when talking about barrels. Any of the good aftermarket barrels would probably do just fine.

pdog06
11-11-2009, 09:18 AM
On your build price it could be a bit cheaper. You could sell the factory Stevens barrel for about $60, and you wouldnt need to buy a take-off stock cause you already have one in the Steven stock.

Your best bet would be to call Northlander(Jim @ Northland Shooters Supply(a site vendor here also)). He sells staggered Stevens actions for $225, comp recoil lugs for $28, and has Shilen and McGowen barrels in stock. All you'd need to do is buy your Duramax and you're in business.

Check out his ad section in the Vendors classified section of the site. If you pm him or call him and let him know what you want he can quote you a price on it, probably a price that'll be very hard to beat.

pdog06
11-11-2009, 09:31 AM
You could also keep an eye on the classifieds for some great parts. Staggered actions sell there often, as do custom barrels and stocks.

fyi, I have a McGowen 308 with 250 rounds thru it I am considering selling because I have 2 of them. It shoots outstanding. I just havent brought myself to let go of it yet. ;).I also have 2 6br barrels and will be selling 1 of them.

pdog06
11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
If you really want a good deal, buy twarrens 22-250 LRPV in the classifieds for 650, sell off the barrel for about 175-200, and replace it with a Shilen or McGowen 308 barrel for 300.

You'd end up with about 750-800 in a very nice gun. Then you'd have a target action with the 6oz trigger, a HS Prec stock(much better than the Duramax), and a custom barrel. Building this same gun from scratch would be around $1200.

savageboy
11-11-2009, 09:40 AM
I went thru the same financial analysis b4 I did my 1st build and here is what dosent show on paper, the fun,learning,joy u get frm building it to ur specs,shooting it,etc. Also the aftermkt barrels u mentioned have the potential to be more accurate than the factory. We have both. I rec doing the build. Ull prob end up w more $ in it, but ull get a lot more satiafaction frm it

fatdaddy
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
+1 on Northlander...Jims a good guy to deal with, Bill

okie2
11-12-2009, 05:23 PM
warning
before you buy from bud's
google BUD'S GUN SHOP! ! ! ! !
ALL BAD NEWS

knickia
11-12-2009, 07:45 PM
i haven't purchased fro buds, but one of the guys i work with has purchased 4-5 guns from them and hasn't had a problem.

of course, he hasn't had a problem with one of the guns (breakage etc) yet either :p... but most places that aren't true gunshops (with gunsmiths) just send you to the MFG.

YMMV with any vendor...

MikeSSS
11-13-2009, 03:47 AM
I'll Google it and take a look. Don't want any problems.

Thanks.