PDA

View Full Version : 300WSM with Berger 210gr VLD or 208 gr A-MAX in Model: 12 VLP DBM ?

Hatari
10-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Has any one had experience with this combination? I have not bought the rifle yet, just trying to find more information. I wonder if the DBM is long enough for the bullet to be seated out so it will not intrude into powder space. Thanks.

rinodods
10-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Pretty sure you are going to end up with the bullet seated pretty deep. You are already pretty heavy for the caliber. I know I can't seat 190gr bergers in my 300wsm to fit the mag without limiting the powder space a little. You might be better off going a little lighter though almost any vld is going to be jumping quite a bit if you seat to fit the mag. Most of the time bergers don't do so well setup that way but it might work for you. You might look at something like the 178 or 208 amax.

Hatari
10-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Thank you rinodods for your kind opinion ( advice). Just as I thought. I appreciate your comment on A-max. The A-max seems to be the prefered choice on this board.

snowgetter1
10-09-2011, 12:55 AM
My 300 wsm loves 168 BTHP always. But I recently have had great luck with 178 BTHP Hornady. This is a rechambered 30" .Savage 308 barrel. I believe I have just now shot it enough to wear down tool marks on the throat not sure though. I know the COL in mine is a bit shorter than the load calls for with 178. I dont have the numbers now but, I have not tried anything heavier because of the limited seating depth. It just seems the throat area in mine is not even long enough to support heavier bullets.

Hatari
10-10-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks snowgetter. If any one reading this thread knows the max COL for Savage DBM, pls kindly enlighten. I'm looking at all possibilities before deciding what model and caliber to buy. Mean while, I'm busy checking BCs of 30 cal bullets.
I just found the information below. Is this same with DBM?
Magazine length: Short action 2.85"

Hatari
10-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Pretty sure you are going to end up with the bullet seated pretty deep. You are already pretty heavy for the caliber. I know I can't seat 190gr bergers in my 300wsm to fit the mag without limiting the powder space a little. You might be better off going a little lighter though almost any vld is going to be jumping quite a bit if you seat to fit the mag. Most of the time bergers don't do so well setup that way but it might work for you. You might look at something like the 178 or 208 amax.

I guess that the Magazine length: Short action 2.85" will be the limiting factor for COL here. I'm leaning on Amax since most guys here seem to prefer this bullet. I'd like to hear more feed back from Savage shooters with .308 208 gr A-MAX, and factory stock barrel.

ig25
10-15-2011, 10:14 AM
IF YOU CAN GET IT TO WORK IT A REAL GOOD BULLET.
I LOAD IT IN A 300 RUM WITH 89 GRAINS OF RETUMBO. 3050 FPS. SWEET LOAD