PDA

View Full Version : new to reloading, is there anything special I need to know about varget?

sha-ul
10-04-2011, 10:31 PM
new to reloading here, but was loading up some rounds for the 308 over the weekend, 180grn ballistic tip, 36.4 grains Varget, Winchester primers I had on hand.
am using a Lyman dps 1200 dispenser/ scale and found that to get a reliable 36.4 grn charge , I had to set the dispensed weight at 34.5& it would end up being 36.XX& I would have to trickle up a touche, or remove a pinch.
Is this normal?

jhelmuth
10-04-2011, 10:48 PM
I too am new to reloading - but I can tell you that I have too many stories about these digital powder scales where they do not accurately dispense the requested charge.

I'll be sticking to throwing my charges manually with a balance beam scale (or two)..

sharpshooter
10-05-2011, 12:49 AM
I notice that Varget cuts inconsistant when thrown from a Harrels powder measure. I just cut the charges about .2 grs. short and trickle to level them out.

tyler.woodard04
10-05-2011, 07:46 AM
I too am new to reloading - but I can tell you that I have too many stories about these digital powder scales where they do not accurately dispense the requested charge.

I'll be sticking to throwing my charges manually with a balance beam scale (or two)..

the RCBS does not throw a over charge very often.

seanhagerty
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
You asked about Varget, there are several things to know:
1. It is not overly sensitive to temperature changes. Some powders will have velocity and pressure differences based on changing ambient temperatures. Varget is not that way. It seems to maintain a constant velocity over a wide range of temperatures.

2. There have been some issues with inconsistency in different lots. (One lot may give a different velocity than another lot.) The way around this is to buy in bulk. Buy an 8 pound container and you dont have to worry about it for a longer time. This lot to lot variance may be a thing of the past, but it is not something to ignore if you have a different POI when using a fresh container of powder.

I like varget as a "go to" powder.

Sean

Eric in NC
10-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I notice that Varget cuts inconsistant when thrown from a Harrels powder measure. I just cut the charges about .2 grs. short and trickle to level them out.

+1

bythebook
10-05-2011, 11:09 AM
new to reloading here, but was loading up some rounds for the 308 over the weekend, 180grn ballistic tip, 36.4 grains Varget, Winchester primers I had on hand.
am using a Lyman dps 1200 dispenser/ scale and found that to get a reliable 36.4 grn charge , I had to set the dispensed weight at 34.5& it would end up being 36.XX& I would have to trickle up a touche, or remove a pinch.
Is this normal?

This is not normal for my 1200 DPS. IF it is set up according to the directions they fine in my experience. They must be out of air movement and level. I used to check every load with a balance beam and now I check every 10 or 15. If you do not look at balance beam scale from the same angle every time you will have a greater variance also. The only complaint I have with mine is it takes so much time to warm up. I have been loading since 1965 and I would not want to go back to before my electric scales.

jhelmuth
10-05-2011, 11:05 PM

the RCBS does not throw a over charge very often.

Ummm.. I know for a FACT that is not true.... it just doesn't do it too often.

racinready300ex
10-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Personally I use a powder drop, and drop about .1 grains low then trickel up to the desired load. I use a digital lab scale that is accurate to .02 gr. And tend to keep my loads in a window of about .06 or so.

One granule of varget is about .02 grains.

rjtfroggy
10-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I use the RCBS electronic with the digital scale, but always double check on the balance scale.I check the first five always then at least every eighth round.My loads for matches every round is double weighed.
I have found over the years that the RCBS will drop low charge more often than an over charge.Also florescent lighting will screw up the scale on occasion.

lal357
10-24-2011, 08:41 PM
i also have the lyman 1200 dps and for the most part it throws .1 over i just set it at 24.4 gr for a 24.5 gr drop stays on the money i rezero every 10 rounds . i also use check weights every now and then to see if it is still in cal.

stangfish
10-28-2011, 12:57 AM
I would up my load to at leasst 38 grains. 36.3 is Sierra's minimum and Hogdons is at 40, speer is 39. Max's ar 39.x, 45 and 43 respecively for 180's.

Dennis
10-28-2011, 04:53 AM
I use the RCBS electronic with the digital scale, but always double check on the balance scale

I have found the same to be true! I do check with my manual scale to verify.

romulus
10-28-2011, 05:09 PM
The RCBS does on occasion do overthrows, but it's due to the powder sticking together in the tube. Most often it stops right after at the desired weight- almost low.

In my opinion Varget is overrated. People put Varget and Lapua together like they're some kind of dream team combo. I don't think it's a coincidence they're both fancy names. Lots need fine tuning, and the bench guys I know have to dope their loads by up to a half grain depending on the temperature.

However it is more than a superb powder for sporting uses, unless one considered trajectory differences a need half grain could cause (30-60 fps) at longer ranges.

Up until 170 grains I've got better results with IMR 8208 XBR in accuracy and reduction in ES, but that of course will vary from gun to gun to gun. A lot of my buddies shoot very well with Varget, but I can say it is the only powder they've tried due to its reputation.

keeki
10-28-2011, 05:40 PM
always liked 4064 better myself, Varget always seemed hard to keep tuned

Dennis
10-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Up until 170 grains I've got better results with IMR 8208 XBR in accuracy and reduction in ES

Romulus, what part of the country are you shooting?

I know in South Louisiana Varget & RL15 are about the most common used! Not saying others are not good! Several of us have tried XBR but don't have the results your having. I also understand XBR is NOT recommended on bullets heavier than 75grns!

Maybe someone can help out!

Dennis,

PS: If something works better, I AM IN ;)

GaCop
10-30-2011, 07:13 AM
I've had excellent results with 8208XBR in the 204 Ruger pushing the 39 grain SBK, .143" at 100 yards. I have yet to give it a try in 308 sized cases.