PDA

View Full Version : Powder - Finding same lot containers

Nandy
10-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I got about 120 loads out of that rl19 1lbs container. I went looking for more powder and It was hard to find someone that had more than one can of the same lot. I end up in Gander Mountain and all I found was 2 1lbs containers and payed dearly.... Is this the norm? Second Question, now that I change the powder, (still rl19 but a different batch) do you have to start all over again? Getting the amount of powder changed, setting the distance from the ogive, etc? What is what you guys with more experience find that you have to change? I guess im about to find out Wednesday anyway, but if it is more than just adjusting the scope I then need to have more loads made....

Thanks!

racinready300ex
10-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Some powders are worse than others for lot to lot consistantcey. I run a quick ladder test and adjust my powder charge if needed. If it's legal where your at I'd buy 8 lbs jugs.

gotcha
10-03-2011, 11:53 PM
nandy, If you buy two or more pounds of one pounders, of same powder type, mix them all together. This way all the powder has same burn rate. You may have to adjust your load slightly. (charge & seating depth) but you'll only have to do it once. Before adjusting seating depth Run your load over a chrono & adjust powder charge to match previous velocity. If you get velocity to match you probably won't have to adjust seating depth................... Key word: probably :) Get at least 5 rounds over the chrono. Ten rounds is better. After you get the powder mixed put it back in the original containers for safety sake.

earl39
10-04-2011, 12:05 AM
nandy, If you buy two or more pounds of one pounders, of same powder type, mix them all together. This way all the powder has same burn rate. You may have to adjust your load slightly. (charge & seating depth) but you'll only have to do it once. Before adjusting seating depth Run your load over a chrono & adjust powder charge to match previous velocity. If you get velocity to match you probably won't have to adjust seating depth................... Key word: probably :) Get at least 5 rounds over the chrono. Ten rounds is better. After you get the powder mixed put it back in the original containers for safety sake.

Not a good ideal depending on powder lots. Over the last few years powders such as Varget have had massive pressure swings between lots which gives you no way to evenly mix different lots. The best thing to do is when you find a powder you like just buy an 8 pound can. Now you have 8 pounds of the same lot. Company's like powder valley will for the most part try to send same lots if you order more than 1 keg at a time but nothing is written in stone.

gotcha
10-05-2011, 12:02 PM
nandy, a valid point that neither earl39 or myself mentioned is that anytime you switch lot #'s it is advisable to back off your powder charge by 10* and work load back up to your established chg. wgt. Look for pressure signs & proceed accordingly. This shouldn't take more than 4 to 6 cartridges. Todays Mfg.'s have less & less control of product. As many powder companies w/ American labels are having powders made overseas. Mixing 2 or more one lb. cans will serve to nullify the effects of any pressure swings from lot to lot, whether high or low. Certainly an eight lb. caddy would be the best answer. I can't always afford to buy one these days. NO disrespect to earl39, just a different view. :)

racinready300ex
10-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I think I'm with earl on this one. I can't see mixing lots together. I'd recomend calling the powder manufacturer before doing so. If I can't buy a 8 lb jug, I'd try a 4lb jug. Or if I end up with a couple singles I'd keep them seperated and just check my load before switching lots.

Be carefull reloading, I know a few guys that have blown guns up in there face. Once of which ended up in the hospital. Niether was from mixing powder, but just making the point to be sure about what your doing before you do it. You can really get hurt if you mess up at the loading bench.

My 2 cents.

Nandy
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys, sorry for the delay but I never got another email notification so I thought no one else had replied...

SMK Shoe
11-08-2011, 09:51 PM
nandy, If you buy two or more pounds of one pounders, of same powder type, mix them all together. This way all the powder has same burn rate. You may have to adjust your load slightly. (charge & seating depth) but you'll only have to do it once. Before adjusting seating depth Run your load over a chrono & adjust powder charge to match previous velocity.

+1 what Earl39 said, this is extremely unsafe and extremely poor advice. NEVER mix powders together. Even the same type. Order from powder valley and tell them you want a couple of 1lb cans of the same lot# and you are not in a hurry. They will match lot #'s or let you know when they expect to be able to fill the order.

sha-ul
11-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Order from powder valley and tell them you want a couple of 1lb cans of the same lot# and you are not in a hurry. They will match lot #'s or let you know when they expect to be able to fill the order.
Powder Valley sells 8# cans too