PDA

View Full Version : stock with out barrel nut

jcode
10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Im building a rifle and need to know what options i have for a savage 110 without a barrel nut. I gunsmith is going to put the barrel on without the barrel nut.

dcloco
10-02-2011, 10:11 PM
What option do you want? Options are....WITH barrel nut and WITHOUT.

Your smith will chamber and crown the barrel. Then measure the receiver, recoil lug, then cut the shoulder on the barrel accordingly.

jcode
10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
whats stocks will i be able to use is my question. Do i just use a savage stock? I thought the space for the barrel nut would look a little off.

J.Baker
10-03-2011, 01:33 AM
I thought the space for the barrel nut would look a little off.

Outside of having a stock custom inlet (expensive) you'll have to deal with it looking a little off as that's the price for castrating a Savage. ;) However, if it's a synthetic stock that will be painted you can just fill in the area the nut would take up before spraying it.

jcode
10-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Thank you Sir. Maybe after this barrel my savage 110 will be reborn with all his important parts. This being my first build i just hope my 110 will still shoot an accurate load without his nut. Thanks

dcloco
10-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Ah...gotcha.

Just have the smith cut the barrel outside dimension as s/he normally would. Takes up the same space as a barrel nut.

normmatzen
10-05-2011, 11:29 PM
This may be a dumb question, but.

Why get rid of the nut? I am shooting a 243 Bench rest gun at 600 and 1000 yd. I bought a savage action so I could assemble the gun myself. I have the Savage PTA, Shilen 243 pre-fit in 1X8 and a Sharp Shooter supply Dog Tracker stock topped with a Night Force BR model. I am only out shot by guys that are better pulling the trigger than I am! If you keep the nut, you can still lock-tite the nut to the barrel and take off the barrel and replace it with the nut still locked in place! And, you don't have to pay a smith to do it!

darkker
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
You don't want a nut if you want your friends to think you bought a Remington... ;D