PDA

View Full Version : Brazed on factory scope bases?

builder252
10-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Hello,
This week I was going to start my new project, putting a new caliber barrel and scope base on a used Savage 110 I recently got at a show.

The rifle appears to have been a package gun, wood stock, 30-06 long action, (round back, no accu-trigger, blind magazine). When I took the scope off, there are no holes from the steel weaver bases to the rifle action. No markings on the bases either. From below, I can not see any holes drilled and tapped. So I imagine this must be a factory set up, and it is brazed or spot welded on.

I'm a little disappointed, as I wanted to change out the scope base. Any options to do this? I suspect no, but thought I would ask.

I guess this would be a good setup for a basic no frills hunting rifle, no bases to come loose, but I like a one piece picatinny type rail on my rifles.

Thanks for any ideas.

Eric in NC
10-02-2011, 09:02 AM
There were two types - one where the receiver and bases were cast as a unit (short experiment) and one where the bases were brazed on.

Thought they were all flat backs for some reason though.

Not much you can do that wouldn't be more difficult than selling the rifle to a hunter and buying another receiver if you really need the different bases.

blom
10-02-2011, 09:07 AM
I can't speak for your Savage, but I have a M96 Swede that the sights were brazed on. Took it to a smith
and he got the sights off and drilled and tapped for a scope base. Not a big deal if you know what you're
doing. And I don't.
Stu

builder252
10-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I looked at it closely and it is definitely a separate steel base on the round front and rear receiver ring. No holes at all from below. It must have been factory, the rifle came with the factory rings and a basic 3-9 scope. No weld or braze is visible, it is a very tight and clean fit, and I am sure the receiver was turned round and then the scope base added.

I don't see a better solution than either using it as is, or selling/swapping it, since it would cost more than just finding another. I think I paid $290 for it, it would not pay to have a gunsmith work on it, so I'll just keep my eyes open for a replacement.
Thanks again.

skoger
10-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I believe the rings are high temp silver soldered on. It would take and competent smith, about 20 minutes with a forster scope mounting jig, to center the action, drill and tap. If you were close to me, would be glad to do it for free. Just heat the base, not the reciever, and when the solder starts smoking, tap with a hammer. I redid one like this about 10 years ago, a flat back, never heard of a round top made like that.

ellobo
10-03-2011, 01:35 AM
I have a feeling that the mtg screw holes were plugged and the base silver soldered on by a smith. The clue is that it is a round reciever model. I dont believe this was done on a factory round rear reciever by the factory. Maybe Fred Moreo can shed more light on this. The factory soldered on bases were done before they made all round recievers.
El Lobo

blom
10-03-2011, 05:37 AM
Ah silver soldered, not brazed like I mistakenly said

builder252
10-03-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a feeling that the mtg screw holes were plugged and the base silver soldered on by a smith. The clue is that it is a round reciever model. I dont believe this was done on a factory round rear reciever by the factory. Maybe Fred Moreo can shed more light on this. The factory soldered on bases were done before they made all round recievers.
El Lobo

I am surprised also that round rear receiver had the base on it. I did check very carefully, there are no screw holes at all through the front or rear receiver ring. None, the metal is completely intact underneath.

If removing a silver soldered base is not too difficult, I am almost tempted to try knocking the bases off.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/treeclimber250/savage%20action/IMG_3734_800x600.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/treeclimber250/savage%20action/IMG_3731_800x600.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/treeclimber250/savage%20action/IMG_3732_800x600.jpg

J.Baker
10-03-2011, 11:20 PM
What does the serial number start with? I.e. F895XXX

sharpshooter
10-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Some were spot welded on. If they are straight, use 'um.

ellobo
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
The master has spoken. If your smart you will listen and learn and do as he says.

El Lobo

oneeyeross
10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
I just picked up a 110F in .243 (F0300xx) that has the same type of welded on bases. I just figure since they appear to be one straight and true, I'd just use them. Glad to know that those in the know say that's the best thing to do.

builder252
10-04-2011, 09:26 PM
As requested, the serial number on this round back savage long action is FO186xx.

Thank you for all the replies and information. I'll try and trade the rifle at the next show I go to. I hate to be picky, but I just like the same scope base on my couple of rifles, so I can swap the scope out if I feel like it. I actually found that when I had a pretty high end badger scope base, I traded scopes with another bolt action, and was within 5" of center at 100 yards (I had swapped a basic 4x scope with a high magnification scope just for an accuracy check).