PDA

View Full Version : MAD AT MYSELF

rjtfroggy
10-02-2011, 07:34 AM
If you look at the picture threads you will see my latest build. This gun took just over nine months to complete due to parts delays but that is water gone under the bridge now.
Upon completion I spent 4 mornings and about a half pound of powder and around 100 bullets & primers finding a sweet spot, (shoots right around .85@100) Not the best but with a 6x scope and my old eyes not bad shooting an IBS score target.
I went to the club match(registered) thinking I was all set and ready to go.I signed up for the hunter class and then did the one thing that I totally forgot about when I finished building it, I had to weigh it, well it didn't make weight,it is a full 15 oz. over coming in at 10.15 lbs..
Now I need to figure out how to lighten it up or just forget about it and enjoy the gun as is, or change the scope and try to shoot for better groups or scores using the IBS targets.
Anyone have any thoughts.
Oh by the way I ended up shooting factory class with my 308 LE 20" barrel shooting a 234 total with a rifle that hasn't been out of the safe in over a year.

keeki
10-02-2011, 08:08 AM
did it weigh 10.15lbs or 10lbs 15oz? May be able to shave that much off with different scope, rings and bases.

rjtfroggy
10-02-2011, 09:42 AM
10 lbs. 15 oz. need to loose a full lb. to be safe. I can't cut the barrel because it is only 18" to begin with.Probably the only way is a different stock.
Scope change won't bring it down enough either.

keeki
10-02-2011, 10:18 AM
what a shame, pretty gun. I think I would just keep it and shoot it, looks to good to change. That must be a heavy stock for that gun to weigh 11lbs.

keeki
10-02-2011, 11:01 AM
got to looking and for a fixed power scope that thing is heavy at 21oz. You could shave 8-10oz easy there alone easily.

82boy
10-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Well to start, weight is an important thing. There is a tolerance on weight do to variations in scales, and you may still be good. If I remember right you are allowed to have a .5 tolerance, so the gun must weigh in at under 10.5 lbs. There is 16 oz in a lbs, so that would be 8 oz over. Now if you gun weighs in at 10.15 lbs you would be good, but if it weighs in at 10 lbs 15 oz, (almost 16 lbs, or 15.9 something) that would be bad.

Good news is there is ways to shave weight. To start take your recoil pad off, and drill out the back of the stock. I took at 1 inch wood bit put it one a 12 inch long extention, and drilled the back of my stock out all the way up to the grip, with several holes. If you have a router, or a milling machine cut pockets out underneath the barrel channel about 3 inch's long, and go down until the wood is about 1/4 inch thick. put about 3 or 4 of them in the length of your barrel channel. In my gun I did away with the recoil pad, I then cut and fitted, then glued flip flop on the back.

The older 110's used a aluminum trigger guard, they are hard to find but they are out there. I have one on my gun. You could have SSS make you one, or last I knew EGW was making them. What scope mounts are you using? Looking at your post looks like some heavy 2 piece stuff. I found a 1 piece base and mount save on weight. I when with Tally mounts because they was the lightest thing I could find. I also has SSS drill out the inside of the bolt handle, the material they use is super hard, and I don't know that it could be done without a lathe. Also looking at the picture it looks like you could open up the barrel channel, and give some clearance between the barrel and the stock. I also had SSS "fish net" cut (flute) my bolt body, to shave a bit more off.

Just by doing some of them things I think you could easily get that sucker into weight. With that done to my gun I got mine to weigh in at 9.8 lbs with a 22 inch Douglass 30BR barrel, and a time precision tuner.

82boy
10-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Another weight saving tip.
If you have a stagard feed get rid of the magazine box. Get a SSS centerfeed single shot adapter, and fit it to the action.

rjtfroggy
10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
As for scope base they are Burris 2 piece with Weaver skelitonized rings 4 screw.
I would hate to change the scope because this SS is crystal clear,I have a Savage "Maiko Shark" stock that I thought maybe a wood worker I know could possibly duplicate that should lighten it up a bit.It is a long action centerfeed so maybe a single shot feed ramp but I need to check the rules because I thought there was something about it having to be a repeater for hunters class.
Saturdays match was the last for the season so I have almost six months to try and get this figured out and dialed in better.There are only a couple of guys shooting this class at our matches and the reason is because they have all run into this problem with all different makes of guns, about the only one who doesn't is Clark Chen but he doesn't shoot this class often.By the way he held the club record of 250-21x until this past Saturday when 2 shooters beat it with 250-23x, but they are in their forties and Clark is 82 or 83 now(he only shot a 250-19x).