PDA

View Full Version : Barrel change

sav12lrpv
09-29-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm contemplating using two (0r more) barrels on my mod. 12LRPV 6mm BR. Second barrel will probably be a .20PPC or .20BR. I've been experimenting a little with what happens to point of impact when I start disassembling and reassembling. The ideal, of course, would be to be able to keep the same zero when coming back to the same barrel. Is this possible? How close can you get? I can take off and replace the scope without a problem. The first time I tried it I put three rounds in the same hole, took off the scope, put it back, then put two more rounds in the same hole as the first three. (Yeah, it was a bit of a fluke, but an encouraging one.) Lately, I've been working with removing the stock. Horizontal is pretty consistent, but vertical is not so easy. My best result seems to be with carefully and systematically tightening the screws just a little at a time, front and back until I hit 5ft./lb (light as my torque wrench goes). Is 5lb. too much? Not enough? I don't torque the middle screw at all -messes up a straight line. On my last attempt, a second thee shot group was one or two clicks lower than the first. Maybe that's the best I could hope for. I would really welcome advice from anyone who has switched barrels while prairie dog hunting. I'm thinking about a Lilja 9 twist for the .20 barrel using 50g. Bergers. What do you think?

Cover Dog
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I use an inch lbs. torque wrench on all my guns. If I did the conversation correctly your 5lb ft. torque equals 60 in. lbs. A torque wrench that reads in inch lbs will be more helpful in your gunsmithing.

earl39
10-01-2011, 12:04 AM
If I did the conversation correctly your 5lb ft. torque equals 60 in. lbs. A torque wrench that reads in inch lbs will be more helpful in your gunsmithing.

Down south here it would be 80inch pounds cause we got 16 ounces in every pound. :D

tinkerer
10-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Considering I have been reminded the specs are 30 INCH POUNDS, I would say your's like it a little tight.

Larry
Tinkerer