PDA

View Full Version : Will ER Shaw .338 Win Mag Barrel Work On My 110 30-06?

ZakBradshaw
09-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I've been wanting a .338 Win Mag, but picked up a Savage 110 30-06 for $150 yesterday and wanting to swap over to .338. Numrich has the .338 Win Mag barrels made by ER Shaw and also have .338 bolt faces. Will both of these parts go straight on my 30-06 action? Will I have to change anything else out? Thanks, Zak.

twarren
09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
The barrel and bolt head should switch over. The only problem you might have is on the magazine. I would also check with Jim at Northland advertised on this site.

ZakBradshaw
09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
I checked the OAL of the two cartridges on Wikipedia (I know that isn't the most reliable source, but good for quick check) and the OAL's of the two cartridges are the same according to wiki. If this is true, the magazine shouldn't be a problem. Right?

ellobo
09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
According to my speer reload manual there is only .006 difference in length between the 06 and the magnum cases. COL I dont know, the magnum is the one .006 longer. The COL will determine if the magazine is long enough. Other manuals may give the COL. If they are the same you should be OK. How old is that rifle? Flat rear reciever? Know what you got, older riles have some differences that can bite your butt if you dont know what you have. The recently made bolt heads may not have the alighnment groove that older ones had. In which case just grind off the nub in the reciever body that the groove rode on if it has one. Your older rifle may have a smaller firing pin dia that may mean you have to drill out your new bolt head or replace the firing pin.

El Lobo

SEshooter
09-29-2011, 06:23 PM
You will need another magazine box. While the one you have is long enough, the lips are narrower to accommodate the 30-06 body diameter (.470). The magnum body diameter is .532 at the belt (.513 at the body) and will require more open feed lips. You may be able to bend the ones you have but it would be a whole lot easier and less trouble to just spend the $8-$12 for a new magnum magazine box. Then you can go back to 30-06 completely again.

handirifle
09-30-2011, 12:21 AM
You will need another magazine box. While the one you have is long enough, the lips are narrower to accommodate the 30-06 body diameter (.470). The magnum body diameter is .532 at the belt (.513 at the body) and will require more open feed lips. You may be able to bend the ones you have but it would be a whole lot easier and less trouble to just spend the $8-$12 for a new magnum magazine box. Then you can go back to 30-06 completely again.

Maybe not. Mine was born a 30-06, (pre accutrigger) and it now lives life as a 338 WM also. Never did a thing to the magazine and it feeds perfectly. Mine is one of the older stagger feed, detachable mag models as well, but it has been setup as a blind mag in another stock, zero issues ever with feeding.