PDA

View Full Version : Please set me straight on the center feeds

youngtrout
09-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Well, just asked about the older savages and now I'm wondering about the new ones, specifically the center feeds

I searched around and of course came up with the difference in screw spacing, mag is attached to stock, center feed rails

What I was also looking for is hoe does the magazine attach to the stock?? Looks like it's a friction fit on some lips in the bottom??

Also we have 4.4 vs 4.25. Can a 4.25 be modified to the 4.4. My thought was to drill out the existing pillar then re-pillar to the correct spacing, kind of like any traditional pillar bedding on a wood stock, just a little more slop to fill??

Then the mag box opened up for sure, then figuring out how to secure the mag box, hence the first question I had

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

csam
09-29-2011, 05:20 PM
The 4.25 can be modified to a 4.4. I have not done it, but I would imagine it is easier with a stock that does not have a pillar installed, like a boyd's or Bell carlson. If you know what you are doing, and have one with a pilar, just fixture it real good steady under a drill press and may have to make the hole a little bigger to remove the whole pilar.

When I was looking into it, it seems like it is just easier to get a 4.25 action. All of the above info you stated is correct, for a short action, long actions have the same spacing from stagger to centerfeed.

J.Baker
09-29-2011, 11:39 PM
First, what are you wanting to do, and more importantly why are you trying to create more work and headaches for yourself? Sounds to me like your still in the planning stages, so which ever action you get (new or old screw spacing) just get a stock already inlet for that spacing. Both systems feed perfectly well, so unless your wanting a specific magazine style (HFP or DBM) it really makes no difference which you get.

youngtrout
09-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Well, finally did make a decision on the action, going to have a center feed short action coming. What I have is a factory SA stock, almost can't give the thing away so I don't mind using it for a conversion.

Looked at the pics at Boyds, not going to be much I figure, and just got my 1 pound container of Devcon from midway so I can fill...

Bigger issue I'm having right now is coming up with a short action blind mag box. Midway does not carry them, google search came up empty??

Where can I buy a factory SA Center feed mag box? Can't seem to find one,, I'll try numrich too

I'll post with the sucess or failure!!

GaCop
10-01-2011, 06:02 AM
I've got a 7mm/08 centerfeed mag box lying around in my shop, give me a PM and we'll work something out.

northlander
10-01-2011, 08:12 AM
I have Savage Centerfeed Magazine boxes in stock at this time.

Jim Briggs
NSS