PDA

View Full Version : 185gr TTSX out of a 338 fed

Sharpshooter_308
09-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Anyone try this combo on deer? I worked the load up for hogs after some poor performance from a 200gr SST on a deer. Just wondering how it will work for deer also. Might be a long shot on anyone using that combo.

handirifle
09-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Something folks need to become aware of, is the new non lead bullets are not as quick to open as the lead based counterparts. The Tipped TSX, like you asked about, are supposed to open sooner, but not sure personally. I would suggest a 160gr TSX, personally, suspecting the heavier bullets might not perform as well on a thin skin game animal like a deer, especially at longer ranges. If memory serves, the first test I read about on game, with the then new 338 Fed, was on an elk, with the 185gr TSX, and it performed perfectly. I THINK the range was at least a couple hundred yards, maybe 300.

Others might have personal experience with the load you have, hopefully it's good.

Sharpshooter_308
09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
I built this gun as an all weather beat around hog gun. I normally keep my shots under 100 yards with it. I also normally head shoot hogs. The only reason I went with this bullet is in case I get a chance a a trophy hog and want to keep the skull in one piece. If we have nasty weather I will take it deer hunting. The whole rifle is finishe in duracoat. I'm thinking the bullet is a bit stout for deer but I hate to have two loads with two different zero's for a primarily hog gun.

handirifle
09-29-2011, 02:50 AM
Nosler lists 2000fps as min opening velocity for their new Etip bullets. I just recently killed a deer with a 150gr Etip, that was doing an estimated 2200+ on impact. The entry and exit holes look the same, just slightly above caliber (308 Win). Your bullet ought to handle ANY hog out there, and depending on velocity at impact, it might perform like mine did on deer. I would have preferred a bit more expansion, but like posters say, dead is dead.

I had about a 1.5" circle of lost meat on either side of mine.

1Shot
10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
..I've got some 160gr TTSX's loaded but I have not tried them on deer yet...I'm useing 200gr CT's right now...Last doe I shot folded her legs like a lawn chair..lol..

alphapygmy
10-07-2011, 06:14 PM
I loaded up some 185 TTSX for deer this year for my 338 Fed. I also am curious about how well they will open as I'm going from a 338-06 down to the lower velocity 338 Fed to save about 1.5" of gun length. I hunt blacktails in the NW coast range of Oregon and it's so brushy every bit of gun length makes a difference. I'll post results if I'm successful.