PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 93r17 misfire

Pages : [1] 2

archerx
09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone was having alot of misfires with 17hmr?
I tried a box of Federal v-max and had 15 out of 40 misfires.
I tried a box of cci tnt and had 10 out of 50 misfires.
The gun has only had 4 boxes of bullets put thru it,I dont remember any misfires
with the first 2 boxes but that was right after I bought it a year ago.
I didn't know if it's the bullets or the gun,I did find out cci makes the bullets for the other
17hmr companies. The gun a Savage 93r17. Any info would be helpful.

savatage
09-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Try Hornady 17 gr ;)

MaDa
09-27-2011, 10:46 PM
I've got well, around 200 rounds through mine. Only a handful of misfires. Maybe 6-7 at most. I've shot remington, cci, hornady, and Winchester, in 17&20gr varieties.

jpdown
09-28-2011, 12:01 AM
This became a consistent problem with my 93R 17HMR after about 200 rounds. Up to 50% of the current Hornady 20gr's are misfires. Changing ammo brands did not help. Usually requires turning the cartridge and several attempts to sometimes get them to fire. The firing pin marks are on the moderate side, but not faint. Not sure what the fix is at this point except to send the bolt back to Savage for repair. A good cleaning and degreasing of the bolt did not solve the problem. A thorough cleaning of the chamber with a bore brush did helped with the stuck case problem that I was experiencing when rounds did fire.

archerx
09-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Just a follow up, a friend took the misfire and tried them in his Savage and the bullets went off,
There is a large indent in the casing from his firing pin. I think I will contact Savage to see what they say.

keeki
09-28-2011, 08:46 AM
sounds like the bullet not going all the way into the chamber, like a headspace problem. would cause two things to happen, 1. extractor not grabbing rim 2. firing pin pushing bullet forward.

archerx
09-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't have a failure to eject problem,I'm not sure about the not seating all the way.
Not sure how to check that,and is that something I can fix?

jpdown
09-28-2011, 11:45 PM
The misfire problem with Savage 93's seems to be a rather common problem based on information I've found on other sites. Some claim all the bolt needs is a good cleaning. I also noted that the rear knob on the my firing pin was lightly brushing the stock when fired, which I thought might be causing the light firing pin strikes. I raised the rear of the action and bedded it to give good clearance, but the misfires continue. I don't think you can adjust the headspace easily on a rimfire barrel.

bani
09-29-2011, 12:10 AM
0 misfires on mine, about 500 rounds now.

dirtfarmer
09-29-2011, 09:21 PM
I have the same problem with my 17. Sent it to the smith and he put a new firing pin in it and cleaned it. I'm still having misfires. I thought maybe it was the ammo since I bought it in bulk but tried it in another Savage 17 and every one fired. 3 boxes and not a misfire. I really like my rifle but it's about to become a new tent stake. Well, maybe not.

archerx
09-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Not exactly what I wanted to hear.I compared my pin to my friends
and the only difference we could see,his seemed looser.My guns only
had about 150 shell thru it,hoping it loosen up,and fixes itself.

John Model 10
10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I recently had the same problem with my 93R17-TR. The first 500 rounds, or so, were flawless. However, when we had it out on a prairie dogging trip, it started to misfire. By the last day, it wouldn't shoot a round, at all. The ammo wasn't the factor, as it did it with anything I put in it. I read a lot of the comments posted on this forum and others and tried everything I had read, but without success. After a lot of head-scratching and tinkering with the bolt/FP, I discovered that the FP was loose enough in the fired position to suggest that it wasn't getting a firm strike on the cases. I don't know if the metal was soft enough to wear out, or just so close in (or out of) tolerance that it only took so few rounds to put it in this state.

What I ended up doing was to add a little bit of JB weld on the back of the firing pin, where the striker makes contact, then filing it to shape (just a couple hundredths of an inch added, at most). This was only a test and likely a temporary fix, as I'm sure it will eventually wear back down. However, it worked! I fired ten rounds to test it, without incident. I think a more permanent fix would be to make another firing pin of larger dimension in that area, or weld a small bit on the contact point and file it down.

John

powerpoint
10-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Converted my Savage 93 in 17hmr to 5mm rimfire. I am suffering from misfires also. As in your case, ammo
was the first suspect. Rim thickness does vary on my ammo, but I had the headspace tightened up to help cure some of those woes. Gunsmith then tried working on the firing pin, but this project still suffers from light strikes.
A friend converted CZ 17hmr to 5mm. He had to jump through more hoops to get that CZ built, but suffers from no misfire problems. Next step is to overhaul the firing pin & spring... Good Luck with your project.

bani
10-15-2011, 07:09 AM
about 1000 rounds through my 93r17 and 0 misfires. i think i've run through a box of every 17hmr ammo ever made now.

jpdown
12-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I finally sent my Savage 93R 17HMR back to Savage to repair the misfire problem. I purchased in 2008, so I assumed the warranty had expired. To my suprise it showed up on my door step with a note saying it had been repaired at no charge. They changed out some parts and adjusted the headspace. Thanks for some great customer support.

MaDa
12-21-2011, 01:47 PM
I finally sent my Savage 93R 17HMR back to Savage to repair the misfire problem. I purchased in 2008, so I assumed the warranty had expired. To my suprise it showed up on my door step with a note saying it had been repaired at no charge. They changed out some parts and adjusted the headspace. Thanks for some great customer support.

its hard to consider purchasing a rifle from another manufacturer when the service is like that... rimfire or center. they are awesome.

GaCop
12-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Inquiring minds would like to know if Savage fixed the problem?

jpdown
12-22-2011, 10:44 AM
I won't have a chance to check it out for several more days. They claimed it was test fired and the problem was fixed. We will see.

MaDa
12-22-2011, 12:28 PM
I wonder how they changed the headspace. I didn't think it was adjustable(being that the barrel is pinned), unless of course they replaced parts on the bolt???

jpdown
12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I wondered the same thing. I did not know the headspace could be adjusted on a rimfire. It looks like they have replaced the firing pin and bolt handle. Not sure if other internal parts were replaced. Maybe there was enough wear at the base of the bolt handle and on the face of the firing pin after 500+ rounds to cause the misfires to get worse. But, I had misfire problems from the begining with this rifle that I at first attributed to ammo failure. But it continued to get worse until it became a PITA to even use the rifle.