View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 93r17 misfire

Pages : 1 [2]

MaDa
12-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Who knows. It sounds logical enough to me. I'm no gunsmith. I guess we'll know how it all worked out when you give us a report from the range.

jpdown
01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
As a follow-up, I tried my 93-17HMR over the Holidays. Not a single misfire with 50 rounds verses a unfired round 50% of the time before I sent it in for repair. So thanks to the folks at Savage Arms.

MaDa
01-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Awesome news. How's it shoot? Glad to hear all worked out ok

jpdown
01-03-2012, 10:59 PM
It's always been a very good shooter when I do my part. ;D

teebirdhyzer
02-01-2012, 05:57 PM
I was having the same problem for the longest time on my MKII in .17hm2. I also have a 17hmr 93r that never once has misfired out of about 1000rounds. This may sound stupid, but my father in law swapped the bolts out...put the .17hmr bolt in the .17hm2 and vise versa, and neither one has misfired since! not sure what thats about, but it worked for me.

j3rd
03-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi, everybody. I'm a new member from NW IL and I came to this site because I have a 93 .22WMR and It is having the same misfiring problems in this thread- it started off OK but as time goes on it misfires more and more no matter what ammo I use. Otherwise it's a great rifle, last time at the range my best group at 200 yds. was 7/8". I'll try cleaning and lubing the bolt and see if that helps.

MaDa
03-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi, everybody. I'm a new member from NW IL and I came to this site because I have a 93 .22WMR and It is having the same misfiring problems in this thread- it started off OK but as time goes on it misfires more and more no matter what ammo I use. Otherwise it's a great rifle, last time at the range my best group at 200 yds. was 7/8". I'll try cleaning and lubing the bolt and see if that helps.

200 yds , 7/8" ? i wouldnt let anyone touch the rifle and deal with the misfiring thing on my own. seriously though, thats phenomenal accuracy! to me atleast....

sounds like most of the problems seen on the rimfires are with the firing pins. be careful with what you lube the bolt. a lot of people won't lube the bolt/firing pins with anything, just keep it clean.

j3rd
03-17-2012, 06:18 AM
7/8" is pretty good? This is my first bolt action rifle and first time shooting at 200 yards. Hope it wasn't beginner's luck. I decided to send it back to Savage and have them fix it, I'm not that mechanically inclined.

MaDa
03-17-2012, 04:00 PM
7/8" is pretty good? This is my first bolt action rifle and first time shooting at 200 yards. Hope it wasn't beginner's luck. I decided to send it back to Savage and have them fix it, I'm not that mechanically inclined.

take this with a grain of salt, because everyones expectations of accuracy and what is "good" or "great" is open to interpretation.

1" at 100yds is considered MOA[minute of angle] accuracy, which I considered to be acceptable/good. If you were shooting 1/2" @100yds, I consider that good/real good. Anything less than .5 MOA is awesome in my book. I would consider that for all centerfire rifles.

Now most people have a lower level of what acceptable/good/real good accuracy is for rimfires. [largely depending on the caliber] for example my .22lr [semi-auto, skinny barrel, plastic stock], I would be happy with 1" [maybe just a little less than that] at 50yds. now my .17hmr, I get 1" @ 100yds, I'm happy with that, but would hope for less than that on a good day.

I dont have a .22wmr but I would expect roughly the same accuracy as the 17hmr. So to be at 7/8" @200yds, is less than .5MOA. Awesome in my book, especially for a rimfire.