PDA

View Full Version : Stephens 110E Series K extraction issues

d_sinsley
09-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Hello, I am new here so forgive me if this is a common topic. I did a search and really didn't find my answer.

I bought my daughter a used stephens 110e series K in .308. We have a problem. The gun does not extract the cases. Here is the details:

Cases are not stuck. Most will fall out when gun is tilted back. At the very most a cleaning rod is needed to push the case out with no tapping or force.
Bolt operates smoothly and freely. The cases come out with light powder burns down the length. Not major but anything more than none is not normal in my book.

My thoughts are cleaning, see if that does it. My thinking here is the "powder burns" are really just the result of a dirty chamber and therfore causing the cases to stick but they aren't stuck.
Maybe the extractor needs replaced but if so why the powder burns.

The one that worries me is this a headspace issue. With the relative ease with which people can monkey with headspace on savages could this be my issue.

I should mention the ammo. We are using handloaded ammunition. It is the hodgedons youth loads. So we are dealing with ultra low pressure. Could this be causing the issue? I plan to clean the rifle good and see if that changes anything. The one thing I haven't thought to do until now is check to see if it extracts unfired rounds or if it leaves them in the barrrel.

GaCop
09-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Sounds like maybe the extractor is worn. It can easily be replaced. You can order a new one from Savage or Midway. If it won't extract an unfired round, I would venture to say the extractor is definitely worn out.

To preclude loosing the detent ball and spring, remove the extractor inside a large plastic bag. Push the extractror with a scrdew driver towards the firing pin hole and it will slide out releasing the detent ball and spring. Reinstall a new one in reverse order.

keeki
09-28-2011, 07:33 AM
sounds like the extractor is hung open. Mine done that often, had a burr on the underside of it. Can you push the extractor in and out with your finger without it hanging up?

d_sinsley
09-28-2011, 09:39 AM
I saw the parts available at Numrich and figured on replacing them, they are cheap and easy to replace. I never see Numrich talked about on here. what are peoples thoughts on them, I have used them in the past and am very happy.

No I haven't tried sliding it with my finger yet. Today I get to play with it so I will give it a bath and take a good look at the extractor.

d_sinsley
10-03-2011, 09:17 AM
An update on this issue. After a good cleaning I noticed that the extractor was stuck over to the side. A small push and it click back into place. We went to the range and it worked fine for a few rounds then did it again. I clicked it back into place went fine for awhile and then did it again. This continued all day. I have all new extractor on order.

GaCop
10-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Nothing wrong with Numrich per se but their prices can be a little high for used parts. I don't like their policy of adding shipping AFTER the order is placed.

d_sinsley
10-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I ordered from midway. Prices were considerably cheaper. I also was able to buy other stuff i need from midway

keeki
10-03-2011, 03:14 PM
if your shooting reloads it means theyre a little warm and pressure came out around the primer.

Brenden
10-03-2011, 03:54 PM
If your powder burns are merely blacking of the case, I wouldn't suspect the reloads being warm if they are light youth loads; but, sometimes low pressure rounds are just as dangerous as high pressure. Just remember, sometimes reduced loads with long skinny bullets behave differently. You don't mention primer leakage so I just suspect low pressure rounds causing a sooty appearance; i.e. case mouth doesn't have adaquate expansion. If you are worried about headspace, you will be able see a ring around the case head if your headspace is excessive. Measure your cases compared to a new unfired case, you should have some growth, but not to the point where separation is on the brink if headspace is ok.

Like others have said, a new extractor should fix your extraction problems. Hope all goes well.

Brenden

d_sinsley
10-03-2011, 05:35 PM
No way its over pressure issues. They are very reduced loads found at hodgedons site for youth loads. I have not measured but no ring like you mention for head space. My buddy and I wondred about the powder being from lack of case expantion in time to stop the blow back since they are such a light load. I have never reloaded down like this. I always am cautious of high pressure signs. Low pressure is a new issue. The round shoots nice. grouping around an inch at 100 yards which is probably shooter (me) error mor than anything, I am not the best of shots. So I am happy with it as long as it is not dangerous. it still jolts my daughter a bit, even though she is 14 she is a petite little thing so I really do not want to ramp up the round yet. It will kill a deer to 150 which is all we are asking.

The extractor comes friday and I will fix that issue I hope and i will measure cases against unfired brass and see what it looks like. I do have one question, if this is a result of low pressure and lack of case expantion, would neck sizing cure this on the next round of reloads. I always neck size my brass and it would make since that they should now match the chamber. If not would firing a hotter load expand them enough to prevent it on future loads?

ellobo
10-03-2011, 05:36 PM
If you are using recommended youth loads they should not be a problem with pressure or with light load detonation. The black on the length of the cases is probably due to the light load not expanding the case on firing so that gasses are getting past the case mouth. Try a full load round and see if that persists.

El Lobo

thomae
10-03-2011, 11:12 PM
d_sinsley:

PM me your contact information and I'll send you an oversize ball bearing you can use to replace your stock extractor detent ball. It should improve performance.

IF you are not sure what I am talking about take a look at:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,23731.0.html

All the best,

d_sinsley
10-04-2011, 12:10 AM
PM sent.

thanks

d_sinsley
10-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks to midway usa and Thomae (for the larger detent ball) my daughters is ready to go to the range. All new exctractor spring, ball, and exctractor. I will say that I think this is going to do the trick. It is much stiffer than before; but it still moves and is not easily popped out of place like before.

Thanks for all the help.

ellobo
10-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Awhile back Savage had a problem with the extractor casting which was made of cast silicon bronze I beleive. There was a rash of extraction problems that was solved by getting new ones made of steel. Your rifle may have one of those bronze ones. A new steel one will do the job if thats the problem.

El Lobo

d_sinsley
10-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I replaced the spring, detent ball and extractor so lets hope