PDA

View Full Version : Mag box mod?

Idahojoe
09-26-2011, 11:18 PM
I want to put a flat back LA in a centerfeed stock that has a hinged floor plate. The mag box hits the front of the floor plate. Thinking that I could trim the front bottom of the mag box for the clearance and everything would bolt up. I know I'm talking about a tupperware stock but it's a step up from that birch log that is on it.
Is this sounding right? I have a laminate on the way and I'm not in any hurry. It would give me something to do in the meantime. I don't think I would have to trim enough to make the magazine box not work right.
Any thoughts on this?? Thank for your input. Idahojoe

mscott71
09-27-2011, 04:05 AM
I'd wait on the laminate before cutting any metal parts. If you are not it a hurry, then just wait.

GaCop
09-27-2011, 06:17 AM
I'd wait on the laminate before cutting any metal parts. If you are not it a hurry, then just wait.

+1, better safe than sorry.

geargrinder
09-27-2011, 09:53 PM
You could take a dremel and convert your action to a centerfeed.

All you'd have to do is round out the rear of the mag opening. Then you could use a centerfeed mag box on your hinged floor plate.

Then you could also use a factory centerfeed DBM.

logic factory
09-27-2011, 10:35 PM
i am not sure if what i describe next is also what idahojoe is inquiring about but....
how common is it for people to modify their actions (or is there a more specific part; receiver?) to work with a larger magazine? i understand a company makes a setup that does just what i try to describe and uses a 10 round magazine but the cost is around 200 for this setup; 200 for "bottom metal" and possible and extra 80 for magazine. my point is i do not need 10 round capacity bad enough to justify the extra 200+ dollars. i do not have a rifle yet so it is hard for me to visualize just how tangible is this project is.

if my question is different than the topic of this thread and someone would like to help me, could you send a pm.

Idahojoe
09-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I was wondering about dremeling the front of the stagger feed box to clear the hinged cf bottom metal. I can take it off and fix it for single shot. Not really want to change the action, I like the stagger feed setup best of the two. Thanks everyone, Idahojoe