PDA

View Full Version : need help with Recoil Lugs are they the same?- I don't think so.

kudu
09-25-2011, 06:00 PM
First a little history- I bought a savage LRH 111, with an Accustock (no wedge) earlier this year- hoping to use it for long range shooting. The best I could get it to group was 1 1/2 MOA. I was disappointed but figured I could swap the barrel out and have new gun.
Ordered a new barrel from McGowan barrels, ordered a new recoil lug as well (although not from SSS) but after reading various posts it seemed like adding a new recoil lug was no big deal. Barrel arrives and install with new recoil lug and it will not fit into the accustock. When I compare it side by side with the original recoil lug the original recoil lug is not as deep, it is thinner, and the sides are different shaped with a straight sidewall rather then a tapered side wall, and there is no button/knob to align the recoil lug with the action (but the action has a place to accept it). The new recoil lug with the tapered sidewall will not fit into the aluminum bedding channel as it is too wide, too thick, and too deep to fit into the Accustock. Okay so forget the new recoil lug and install the old one-- problem is the original recoil lug won't fit over the barrel. The inside diameter of the recoil lug is too small (the barrel fits fine into the new recoil lug and the barrel fits fine into the action).
So do I send the barrel back to McGowan and have them "fix" the threads and use the original recoil lug or does someone make a recoil lug suitable for this rifle?

kudu
09-25-2011, 08:24 PM
I thought about that as well I spent about an hour with the Dremmel tool and I'm still not there! I had to take about an 1/8 of an inch off the depth, Over an 1/8 of in on the sides, I haven't even begun to thin it down. The idea was to be more accurate- I'm pretty sure the lug is nowhere as square as should be now.

82boy
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM
The accu-stock guns use a diferent recoil lug, you may have luck with a remington lug.

JW
09-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I found this this evening
Not sure if you have a large or small shank barrel, this is for a large shank
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=947088

Jack

tyler.woodard04
09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
do not thin it down if you want to have an accurate lug. the front to back needs to be perfectly parallel to have it accurate. the closer to perfect the better. we are talking .0005 being on the high side of the tolerance

Netz
09-26-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd modify the stock to fit the lug, not the other way around.
Curt

kudu
09-28-2011, 02:00 AM
JW thanks for the post I had looked for this and could not find it I have the small shank barrel but they also midway also has that lug as well. Now trying to figure out what the inside diameter is supposed to be (not sure if this style is supposed to be smaller and I need the get the barrel reworked or if the one that came with the original gun just happens to be to small). I've given up trying to modify the lug just didn't seem correct. Trying to modify the aluminum bedding in the accustock doesn't look like a small task either.