PDA

View Full Version : Torque specs for Burris mounts and rings

nivlac1960
09-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Does anybody knows the torque specs for Burris XTB scope base screws and Signature Zee Ring cross bolts and ring screws?

thomae
09-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Does anybody knows the torque specs for Burris XTB scope base screws and Signature Zee Ring cross bolts and ring screws?

On 09 May 2011, I spoke with Burris customer service. For Signature Zee rings, he stated that all fasteners should be torqued to 40-45 inch pounds. Didn't ask about XTB scope bases.

I replace all my cross bolts with allen(hex)head cross bolts. (I purchased about 50 a while ago and they will last me a lifetime. )

I put just a smidge of medium strength threadlocker on the threads and torque them down gradually...get the crossbolts first, back and forth until I am at about 40 pounds, and then do all four ring screws to 10 in/lbs, then 20 in/lbs, then 30in/lbs.
My recollection is that I only need about 30 in/lbs for the ring screws. If my scope moves, I'll torque it down just a bit more, but that certainly feels like a lot of force for those small screws.

Later edit: Based on rjtfroggy's posting and rethinking all of this, I believe I am wrong and he is correct and 18-20 inch pounds is good for the ring screws/bolts. Please read down this thread.

Hope this helps.
All the best to you.

rjtfroggy
09-25-2011, 07:10 AM
For the cross bolts 40 in/lbs. is the standard.
For those little ring screws most recommend 18-20 in/lbs..

nivlac1960
09-25-2011, 11:45 AM
thomae & rjtfroogy,
Thanks for the help.

thomae
09-25-2011, 02:10 PM
rjtfroggy:
I think you are correct. It's been a while since I put a scope on. I do know that regardless of what the "manual" says, if it feels too tight to me, I'll stop. I have had my share of broken or stripped bolts, screws, holes that I do try to avoid them. Now that you mention it, perhaps I stop at 20, not 30 for the ring screws. My forgetter is getting better every day.

I stand corrected.

nivlac1960 :
You are quite welcome. I am going to suggest that you go with rjtfroggy's 18-20 inch pounds and not the 30 or 40 that I suggested for the ring screws. The more I think about it, the more I believe rjtfroggy is more correct than I am. Go easy on the ring screws and if it feels ok at 18-20, go with rjtfroggy's suggestion and stop. The worse you will have to do is to tighten a bit more later if the scope moves around. If you go to 30 and end up stripping or breaking something, that is bad, and I don't want to be the one who gave you the bad gouge.

All the best,