PDA

View Full Version : Weirdness in my barrel... how did this happen?

dacaur
09-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Here are some pics I took the other day of my barrel. I dont know how long its been like this, I only noticed it because I happened to be cleaning my gun and decided to have a really close look inside the bbl. Well, about [edit- I said 1.5", but after looking again, its about 3/4"] down from the muzzle I see this... its hard to get a good pic, but it goes all the way around the barrel... It doesn't seem to affect accuracy, But I am just wondering A) has anyone seen something like this? b) how did it happen?
http://www.dacaur.com/guns/targets/edge/bbl1.jpg
http://www.dacaur.com/guns/targets/edge/bbl2.jpg
http://www.dacaur.com/guns/targets/edge/bbl3.jpg
http://www.dacaur.com/guns/targets/edge/bbl4.jpg
http://www.dacaur.com/guns/targets/edge/bbl5.jpg
http://www.dacaur.com/guns/targets/edge/bbl6.jpg

blom
09-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Did you happen to use a bore sighter with a metal spud that goes in the barrel ?

Slowpoke Slim
09-24-2011, 07:38 AM
That was NOT caused by a bore sighter!

::)

I've seen that caused by the pilot when the crown was cut before, but the one I saw caused by that was closer to the muzzle itself. I don't think a pilot would have gone 1.5" down the bore. And it looks more like a pressure ring than a machine cut ring.

What is the history of this barrel? Factory new, have you had it since new, is this a used barrel/rifle that you recently received? What cartridge is this chambered for? It looks like the barrel was "rung", usually caused by a bore obstruction, then someone firing a bullet down the obstructed bore. It also looks like there's pitting in the bore. The obstruction could have been from dirt, snow, mud, or even a stuck bullet (I doubt that one). Usually a totally obstructed barrel will burst when another full pressure round is fired behind it. Maybe some snow or mud partially blocked the bore, causing a pressure build up and ring in the barrel.

sharpshooter
09-24-2011, 07:46 AM
It's a ring, no doubt. It may have happened when the barrel was reamed. If it doesn't affect accuracy, don't lose any sleep. If it does, cut it off. Calling Savage about it will not yield any results because they will not cover that under warranty.

dacaur
09-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I just had another look and I was way off on my estimation of it being 1.5" down the bbl, its just over 3/4" from the muzzle... I edited the original posdt to flect that too....

Brand new savage Edge in .308 winchester. Ive got about 200-250 rounds through it now. I've never used a boresigter, but it was boresited at the factory. Definatly never had a bullet lodged in there and Never any other type of obstruction AFAIK, .... Ive never noticed anything weird, but since I have shot from prone on the ground, I guess its possifle some dirt got the the barrel at some point....

I did shoot it yesterday (after the pics were taken) and it shot fine. I shot at a 200 yard range and got about a 3" group with the load I have settled on for hunting (43.8grains of varget under a 165g hornady SST, CCI 200 primer) using my shooting bag as a rest, so I am pretty confident accuracy is not affected...

I didnt even think of cutting it down if accuracy does get affected or it gets worse, good idea....

yorketransport
09-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I have a Stevens 25-06 barrel with the same ring. It doesn't impact accuracy, so I don't worry about it.

Andrew

Werewolf
09-24-2011, 03:45 PM
How do you know it doesn't affect accuracy ???? Not trying to be smart, but it would bug the crap outta me thinking I might be able to improve it by getting rid of the ring. Maybe it would shoot 2" at 200 yds. Who knows?

davemuzz
09-24-2011, 05:48 PM
IMHO....at the point where that ring is, your powder is already burnt and your bullet is at or darn near close to it's top velocity. If you run a dry cotton patch down that ring several times and you don't "feel" any type of snags or there is no tiny pieces of cotton hangin in the barrel, then I simply wouldn't worry about it. If you want to feel more comfy about it....just call Savage and tell 'em what you came across and just ask 'em what to do.

Dave

5spd
09-24-2011, 10:07 PM
I have seen that in other savage bbls and it had not had any effect on accuracy. I even had one like it a while back & after borescoping it deemed it a tooling/rifling result from the factory.

irondog54
09-25-2011, 09:22 PM
My guess is a squibb load left a bullet in the barrel; the next full power round lft a ring when it hit the obstructing bullet.

JamesD
09-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I checked my .223 Axis and it has the same "ring" as yours. Did not effect my accuracy at all. I would keep shooting it and do not lose any sleep over it.

James

dacaur
09-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Interesting...Thanks. Well, I guess I wont worry then.... Not that I really did, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I did... I just looked at my 10/22, and it has the same thing too, thought not as pronounced....

nickster
09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
I would think a serious obstruction in a highpower barrel will blow the barrel. You might get away with a squib in a smallbore barrel. I was told years ago by an old gunsmith that these were caused by too much oil left in the barrel. When first fired the oil has no place to go and can't get out of the way fast enough. If I've had the rifle stored with oil in the barrel, I usually swab out the barrel with a patch to take out any excess before shooting. Works for me.

Nick

sha-ul
09-27-2011, 01:50 PM
one possibility that has not been mentioned, is that steel is not always 100% uniform, a piece of bar stock can vary in hardness from one end to another, this frequently observed in rebar, which is generally made with more scrap. but in 4130 the quality control IS tighter, however, it is possible that this one point was a little softer or harder& the tools, either the drill, or the broach cut it slightly different that the metal on either side.
this is something that would be caught by a high end barrel maker who air gauged the barrel to ensure uniformity, but not caught by the normal QC of a fast paced production environment.