PDA

View Full Version : Beginner fitting my 111 with a scope and mounts

mtanker
09-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi, I just bought a Savage 111 30.06 with accutrigger. It has four holes drilled into the barrel for mounts. I've never mounted a scope on a rifle before and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I'm looking at Talley aluminum 1" one-piece scope mounts and a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope. I'm pretty confident the scope is a good one, and the Talley mounts seem good but how do I know they will work with my rifle and scope? Here are a couple dumb questions. How do I know the Talley screws will match the Savage screw holes? Do the rings need to be a certain type in order for the scope end to clear the barrel? Also, the writeup for Talley says they are for Savage Model 111 w/ Flat Rear or Savage Model xx (10, 12, etc) new round action, but I think my 111 is round action. I suppose I should just call Talley and ask them but thought I'd get your thoughts first.

airaddict
09-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Hmmm......four holes in the barrel or action?

Brian

keeki
09-22-2011, 10:35 PM
first thing you need to know is it round rear or flat rear? Second you need to know how tall the lens is (from bottom of bell to center of objective) this will tell you how tall the rings need to be at minimum. third if you order it for a savage the screws will fit. most all guns are tapped with same thread. I just pulled some screws out of a savage base a few minutes ago and put them in a Howa that i was working on. Howa, weatherby, remington and savage are same thread i know.