PDA

View Full Version : Duramaxx...make to fit SA centerfeed

teebirdhyzer
09-21-2011, 10:45 PM
So, I'm yet another savage owner that has come to realize the choices for Short action center feed stocks suck! I am planning a long range/tactical/hunting multi purpose build. I would really like to keep the rifle as light as possible due to the times I would take it hunting, and really like a more traditional style of stock like the Duramaxx. The price definately makes it appealing, and I may pay a smith to inlet for DBM at some point. I can find alot of stuff about people making the long action duramaxx model work on a centerfeed, but not much out there for the SA. I think the screw spacing is a bit different on SA.... Anyone made it work? and if so, how did you get 'er done? thanks,

jraney
11-15-2011, 10:02 PM
i have the same problem with my stevens, the screw is in the wrong place. but i have been thinkin about this, why couldn't i
take a hole drill bit like the small 1 used for the edge of a door and drill out the old hole along with the pillar? then plug that hole with some sort of epoxy and relocate my extracted plug with the pillar and epoxy it back in place in the correct position. i am definetly no engineer but i think this would work. does anybody else have any suggestions? if so i know i would like to hear them.

thanks
j

teebirdhyzer
11-17-2011, 03:29 PM
I contemplated the same thing, but after much searching, I found a hogue overmold stock for the 4.4" centerfeed screw spacing that has a bottom mag cutout. So far it seems pretty good. Let us know if you modify one like you mentioned. If it works out that way and is easy, I would like to know.

RatMag
11-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Depending on whether or not you will be utilizing the blind magazine or a DBM. Yes, the Duramaxx can be modified to make it work. Just carefully drill out the present front pillar, and install a new one in it's place with the proper spacing. I bought one that was modified, and liked it enough that I made my own. I used Devcon Steel Putty and an aluminum tube, cut down to size.

If you are going to be working with a blind magazine though, you will need some spacers on the sides of the mag body to keep it in the proper position. I went this route for a short while, and then took the router too it and inletted the stock for a DBM. I much prefer the DBM as your solution over the blind magazine option. YMMV...

RatMag

jraney
12-25-2011, 11:58 PM
hey ratmag do you happen to have any photos?