PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Equipment buyout

Nandy
09-21-2011, 05:38 PM
I am a bit late (bout 2 years) to go over this but I might as well do before I start reloading with it. I have a coworker that got out of reloading and offered me his equipment. This guy is very meticulous with his stuff so I knew whatever I would get would be in good shape. My immediate need is to reload for hunting with my 30-06 which I will post more on that on a separate thread. Right now all I want is to check if the equipment/books/hardware is too old and anything else needs updating. I bought this for $80 bucks so I know I did good by just looking at the RCBS single stage press but I could be mistaken... Months after I got it I did reload a few shells and manage not to blow my face and hit the target so i know the general process.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Powder

Accurate Riffle Powder 4350 - four 1lbs bottles, unopened - one open bottle with about .5lbs left
Accurate Shotgun Nitro 100 - one 12oz unopened bottle - one with 4oz left

Hodgdon Shotgun Universal clays - one 1lbs unopened bottled - one with .5lbs left.
Trap Shotgun 100 - one 1lbs unopened bottle.

Alliant Rifle Powder Reloader 19 - One 1lbs unopened bottle.

Shotgun gear
About 750 aa wads 12 ga
Bout 1k 750 12ga empty shells
25 lbs #8 1/2 magnum shot
Lee Load-All shotgun reloader
Ballistic Products Inc - Better Loading in the Winchester AA Hull - rev 5 Manual

Rifle Gear

About 300 223 used shells
Mtm case guard universal tray for all rifles shells and 38 to 357 pistol shells
Rcbs 30-06 LF size set of dies
Rcbs "RS" single stage press (when compared to the rcbs press I found online it looks like the Rock Chucker Supreme)
Lyman acculine reloading press
Bout 200 38/357 158 gr slugs
200 or so 3606 decaped/weight sorted brass
Lee powder measure kit
Lyman 500 scale (not working, wonder if it can be sent back for repairs or if it is even worth it.)
Deburring/reamimg tools
Lee powder dispenser
Lee loading funnel
500 CcI rifle primers
Lee carbide speed die for either 38 or 357 or both (not sure, have not read the manual)
Case lube
Hand primer loader
Case cleaner hopper
Forester original trimmer kit (sorta got it from him. I got a complete die set for a 257 Roberts and a few hundred shells/bullets for it and trade them on a gun show for this)

Books
Accurate Smokeless Powder loading guide - number one
Lyman 47th reloading handbook - new edition
The abc's of reloading by dean A grennell - 2nd edition
Modern reloading by richard lee
Speer reloading manual #10
Hodgon data manual 26 edition
Nosler reloader manual #3

I bought the following shortly after I got the stuff from him:
100 30 cal 165 gr Remington psp bullets (intended to use to fireform shells, stupid impulsive buy, should had gotten hornady on 110 grains)
150 or more combined technology ballistic silvertip 30/150 sorted by weight
Knetik rcbs bullet puller
Rcbs range master 750 Digital Scale
Prochrono didital chronograph

I dont expect to have to replace the bullets or shells but I had then on the list that I cut and paste here. Hopefully the powder will be fine, at least the sealed unopened ones. The one 4350 bottle that I used to load those shells when I got this initially looked bloated, like a portable gas can when it sits in the heat. When I open it up it did release pressure and I could smell amonia...
Thanks guys...

keeki
09-21-2011, 05:52 PM
i would chunk the open powder but everything else is good to go. youve got 200 bucks worth of books, I think you did pretty good. wish I could run up on a deal like that.lol. you need to pick you up a good beam scale or fix the one you have, I would just get a different one. Put the advertisement out and someone on here prolly has a couple extra ones they would sell cheap.

JCalhoun
09-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Great deal you got there.

Don't knock the 165gr Remington bullets. They're fine for deer.

keeki
09-22-2011, 06:12 PM
unopened cans should be fine. shelf life of powder is a long time unopened

handirifle
09-23-2011, 01:32 AM
unopened cans should be fine. shelf life of powder is a long time unopened

I doubt that was why he was suggesting to throw it away. I agree, he should toss it. The loss in $$$ is not worth not knowing if the powders were crossed with any others or contaminated. Not worth the risk.

As for the deal, the OP got, you could add another zero to what you paid and it would be still under retail.